Jim, need your advise on wifi for a 26 foot travel trailer I'm goona buy. Is there such a thing as a "unidirectional" wifi that does"t need a dish? Reason I ask is i was thinking of attaching your rv wifi to the trailer antenna but without the dish so it would fold flat on the travel trailer roof. Would this work? Or, can you build up a "unidirectional" travel trailer wifi system for me?

If not, maybe i should just attach your rv wifi dish somehow (plastic ties??) to the existing antenna and then use the tv directional rotator inside the traile to "point" the wifi?? This sounds good to me after writing this IF i could get the antenna to fold and stay down on the highway without the dish catching too much air and going airborn... like my last fishing rod i forgot and left on the trailer roof.

Also, will that special scifi thing that plugs into the dish stayin place and can it be left exposed to the elements outside on the roof?

Whaddy think buddy? Thanks! Pat

Tags: Build, RV, Trailer, Travel, WiFi, Wifi, antenna, caming, own, wifi, More…your

Views: 899

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can use the mini dish as a unidirectional, but the range will be very limited, 400ft at best. Simly aim the dish straight up, with the dongle being vertical instead of horizontal. The directional aspect is what allows you to grab those distant signals.

Using the adjustable TV antenna actually is a fantastic idea. You could have internal visual refference of direction, plus being able to turn it without going outside.

Since it is a PVC type mount and very light, you could easily attach it to that rotator and be good to go.

A unidirectional would look like a PVC pole (about 1 1/4 diameter) or like a real fat antenna. It would still require some mounting.

I was happy with a old tripod, removing the camera foot off the end, it exposed a hollow tube perfect for the dish expanding pole mount.

I've left mine outside since it went up, and its still working. BUT.. it hasent rained here in 3 years. If it were to be left outside in a place that has weather, I'd hide it under a big gallon ziplock bag ( or similar trash bag) and be done with it. Plastic wont hurt the signal, and Ive made a waterproof one hiding it under a baby bottle.
Hey, JIm thanks for the advice! I think I'll try attaching it to the antenna that comes with the travel trailer so it can be directional wifi from inside the travel trailer. Then i can see if it will fold down with the antenna... which probably depends on where i attach it to the tv antenna. I'll test it first and e-mail you or post some pics here of the temp install until tested. Then, i'll "lock it in", probably with some plastic ties or stainless steel clamps, drill thru the roof of the travel trailer and route the wiring beside the tv antenna wire and then to my dinette table which is wifi and internet hq on my little rig.

I'll have to see what i can come up with for weather protection since i dry camp in all kinds of weather, snow, ice, blazing heat and other fun weather stuff. So, it will be a good test. And, thanks for letting me know that plastic won't affect the signal.

I'll ping you by e-mail in just a few weeks and see if you have enough stuff in your garage to build up one boot-leg wifI system for me.

Note to 'me"; ask Jim later about cell phone sci fi systems that will reach out and grab signals in really remote places, but first wifi
Pat, I'll make a waterproof cover for ya no worries. I have an idea that will work great.

I went out and bought about 15 dishes and components and have been making them like crazy so no worries for you mate.

You'll get 'weatherproof v1.o'
Kewl a v1.0!! ok! thanks, Jim.

Note: this model is probably the only waterproof rv wifi system able to handle immersion in 20 feet of water off point loma and able to withstand the fiercest Baja windstorms!! (not really... made it up. But, probably great!) We'll test it out this fall. watch for my blog on this for anyone wanting a home-bre wifi system for your rv that really works!

RSS

Forum

Onan Generator oil consumption 8 Replies

Started by Russell & Berniece Johnson in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Russell & Berniece Johnson 12 hours ago.

icamp

Started by rakefet richmond in Vintage Travel Trailer Forum 17 hours ago.

My new conversion project 5 Replies

Started by Jeff Terry in General Discussion Forum. Last reply by Jeff Terry yesterday.

Rode in the passenger seat for the first time today 36 Replies

Started by Jim Stoltz in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Jim Stoltz yesterday.

Blog Posts

Get together in Alabama in March

Posted by mae summer on September 26, 2014 at 10:22am

Summer project

Posted by charles stahura on September 25, 2014 at 8:09pm — 1 Comment

Decision and the Cherry Springs trip

Posted by carey masci on September 19, 2014 at 2:41am — 1 Comment

Classic Rv's and Memories.

Posted by Lakota Wolf on September 14, 2014 at 12:50am — 4 Comments

Installing a heated floor in bus conversion.

Posted by Leonard on September 8, 2014 at 3:21am — 2 Comments

Southeast Camping

Posted by Shorty on September 4, 2014 at 7:34am — 1 Comment

Final Cab Carpet Install Pics

Posted by Shorty on September 3, 2014 at 7:30am

1983 Coachman

Posted by Kevin on August 27, 2014 at 9:18pm — 2 Comments

Extra Batteries

Posted by Shawn Kane on August 26, 2014 at 9:37pm — 11 Comments

vintage trailer emblems wanted

Posted by Rex Conaway on August 26, 2014 at 9:20am — 1 Comment

COME JOIN US on GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Vintage RV community. Get Help Share Information. Learn How To Restore Vintage Trailers, Retro Campers, Buses & Old RVS . Vintage RV Photos

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... saving them one at a time.

Disclaimer

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site you agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it and YOU agree that YOU are soley responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results and damages. Members "opinions" are just that. Any mechanical or other repairs or modifications do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use liscensed professionals for any work to avoid injury or damage. Use a bank for financial transactions. Don't get ripped off...

You could get viruses, bugs... god knows what from links so be careful and always have security software on you "puter"...

Copywright & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

----------------------------------------

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE

© 2014   Created by Pat Daly.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service