Has anyone tried this idea for a creative/inexpensive vent fan solution?

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/install-rv-12-volt-ceiling-vent-fan/

Neither of my two vents have fans - the bath has a wire already behind the vent garnish which should be no trouble to tap into, while the other in the overhead I could string across the ceiling with a wiremold channel and wire into a light.  There might be a wire behind the framing but haven't tried to see if I can detect one.  I think I could make it look fairly nice although still having to wrap my head around the switching.

Just wondered if anyone had did this and had any thoughts or recommendations?

Tags: electrical, fan, vent

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now that's an interesting idea - hadn't thought about making a new one... 

Each vent fan is of course framed around it's perimeter which makes getting a wire to it an issue to the lay person. As an RV tech I used a 5 foot long flexible drill bit to push through a pre drilled hole and slid it across the RV ceiling till it hit the wood framing of the vent I was wanting to pull a wire to. then drilled a hole through it the flex bit has a hole on both ends to connect a power wire to and pull it back to the vent. these bits can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot then saved for future wire pulls. The cost about $15 but saves you from doing a half assed looking surface mount wire that cuts down the resale value of your RV. Fishing walls is a little different I used ball type pull chain like you see on pull chains in ceiling fans it finds it's own way down a wall with loose insulation in it. Good luck.

First, that's cool.  Very good information to know.  I'll look for those.

Second, um, hate to admit it out loud but my fan mod is going to be considered half assed anyway :-)  Course I'm not planning on selling my rig anytime soon–and she's not a canned ham where I might be concerned about rehabbing her.  She's just for me to be comfortable.  I will say, I'm kind of surprised I decided to go this way because it is a tad clumsy and I tend to be a perfectionist especially where you see things, but I felt it was necessary to get some air circulation in place and there are a lot of other things I need to spend that money on.  I figure it will get me down the road a year or two, I learned more skills, and then in a couple of years I'll replace them with with fantastic or similar fan units.  

Got the bathroom fan in today so will write up a blog post in a bit so you can see the results (no snickering - I'm proud of my creativity!!)

Just a thought; before you try to pull, not only air and noise but water into the trailer through a roof vent, you may wish to think about this option.

Place a fan in a side window pushing air OUT of the trailer. This will create a very slight vacuum inside the trailer and you can then selectively choose which areas of the trailer to cool off, simply by opening a normal  ceiling vent  or bedroom window, or whatever zone needs cooling.

Plus the fan noise is to a large degree muffled either by locating the fan in another room  or by the exiting air taking the noise along with it.

It works well in our situation and we found the gentler air coming in doesn't attract or suck as many mosquitoes in  either.

If you are trying to vent air OUT of the bathroom then reverse the window fan to pressurize the trailer, it serves also to evacuate cooking odors.

Just our experience.

B.T.W. Those 12 volt  'O2 Cool'  fans are a life saver

Good Luck.

David ,1982 VW Westfalia

This is good information!  I haven't done the cabin overhead one yet so am going to take this to heart and play around and see how it might work in our setup- but don't regret doing the one in the bathroom (just posted a blog with pics but it is pending approval).  In close quarters a little fan noise can go a long way to preserving dignity ;-P

You know that bit about sucking in mosquitos fits right along with my thoughts earlier today on how badly those screens are made to fit those vents....

RSS

Members

COME JOIN US on GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Wintering in an RV 4 Replies

Started by Edwin Douglas in General Discussion Forum. Last reply by Ralph Javins yesterday.

Wintering in an RV

Started by Edwin Douglas in General Discussion Forum yesterday.

Blog Posts

Things that need to get did.

Posted by Lakota Wolf on September 19, 2017 at 2:11pm — 1 Comment

Ark Encounter, the Great Eclipse, Falls and More Part 6

Posted by carey masci on September 15, 2017 at 1:40pm

A very contructive day.

Posted by Lakota Wolf on September 14, 2017 at 5:41pm — 2 Comments

Carbs..and Paint...and Gas...Oh My!

Posted by Tina on September 10, 2017 at 6:56pm — 3 Comments

When its time to Bug out in an emergency

Posted by Lakota Wolf on September 8, 2017 at 5:14pm — 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Events

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.         JOIN HERE NOW!

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Campers Vintage Travel Trailers Vintage Camper Restoration Retro Campers Bus Conversions Vintage RV Forums Frugal RV living Old RVs

YOUR OWN GORVs T-Shirt!

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases. You could get computer viruses or hacks. Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2017   Created by Pat Daly.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service