Greetings on October 18th, 2014

I just bought my 2nd Travco 22 and happy to finally find one that I still wish I had kept my 1975 22ft.

Shockingly, the first leg gets me a whopping 5 MPG.....and I must do something about that !

OVERDRIVE ??

CHANGE THE REAR END GEARS OR REAR END....TWO SPEED?

CAN YOU POINT ME IN SOME DIRECTION TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

Help? I love this Travco model and would like to keep it but the MPG is a real problem as I like to use the RV and not just look at it.  I'm retired and on SS, so being creative is my nature.

Thanks for all the information on this site....I also needed a windshield and that info was here....many thanks to all of you who share.....a very rare part of humanity....and kudo's to all of us that were raised that way.

If you can share any info on making my Travco more economical to run (aside from tuneups,etc) please let me know on this site or here     icfacts@yahoo.com

Thanks, Roger Rankin

Tags: 1973, 413, driveline, mileage, overdrive

Views: 708

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wish I had an answer for you, but I do want to welcome you. There are a lot of good people on here and Im sure someone will take your problem on. a couple things that I might say on the subject is proper tire inflation, clean fuel and fuel system pretty generic stuff I know but it really dose effect fuel mileage any way welcome to the forum!

Our 87 Southwind 31 footer with a 454 gets 5.5 MPG when solo and 4 with the toad.  I added headers, large exhaust pipe with free flow mufflers, and a friction reducing oil additive and got more power but did nothing for the MPG.  The PO told me they got 5 MPG.  I thought about adding an overdrive unit to the back of the tranny but decided against it as it would only add about .5 MPG  and figured it would take too long to recoup the cost.  My son wants to drop a Cummings 5.9 with a 6 speed manual into it, but I am holding off till the 454 dies, it only has 34500 miles on it.  Besides if I do that then I have to fork out for a new diesel generator to replace the gas one we have now.  So for me living with 4-5.5 MPG is just fine for the time being.

I hope you find a solution that you like, as previously mentioned by Rich Thomas, others on this forum will have valuable insight to help you in your quest.

The one thing that seemed to help me improve MPG on big block carb engines in my RV's was to use dual 2 1/2 exhaust pipes with free flow mufflers. I used to send my carbs and distributors to Gerharty Performance RV in California for improvements which also helped. Of course, keeping the engine perfect tuned, driving 60 MPH and under, keeping tires full inflated, overdrive transmissions if available.

I cant find it now, but there was a gentleman a short time back with a big block V8 (seems like 454 Chevy) in a Class A who talked about getting 10 and 12 MPG I believe it was and was hoping for 14 MPG, while other posters with similar rigs (and my years of RV's and improvements) were talking more like 6 to 8 MPG max. There's the man to talk to if you want to double the MPG you're getting, as in Class A's with big block V8's and carbs (and I used and bought and sold RV's like 30 years) I couldn't ever get near that 10 to 12 figure he talked about.

In my current Class C (shorter, catches less wind, and less drag versus a huge front area and much taller Class A ) I can get near 10 MPG in ideal conditions (no wind, no hills, cruising 58 to 60 MPH) but that's with the 454 Vortec Fuel Injected engine and 4L80E Overdrive Tranny.

Sorry no help other then dual oversize exhausts, free flow mufflers, overdrive trannys, have distributor and carb super tuned.

PS if you find the secret to 10 + MPG in a class A LET US KNOW PLEASEEEEEEEE

John T

the answer to better mpg lies in better aerodynamics.it's been studied to death by engineers, the govt. and

the trucking industry.you are starting to see the results in trailers equipped with skirts and kamm devices

on the rear of trailer doors.a guy in arizona has a class A that he equipped with a homemade version of the

kamm and that along with aero mods to all roof accessories and a belly pan for the running gear with a

spoiler.the gains in mpg were substantial and documented.i have always thought the travco was a perfect

candidate for a kamm back and also a spoiler for the a/c,they are done up with light weight materials and

can be easily taken down or folded in place.like i said,the trucking industry is beginning to use this equipt-

ment.why not us too?

a kammback is a type of spoiler that is added to the rear of the vehicle.it's sole purpose is to

improve the flow of air down  the length of the vehicle and smooth out the turbulent air that

exits off the rear end.if you restrict turbulent air and direct it accordingly,you now make the

vehicle "slippery" which will affect mpg positively.if you look at truck trailers,they end cut off

perfectly square.the air coming off the rear is intensely turbulent.this only adds drag which

kills mpg.a kammback will improve air flow and mpg.

Yea a kammback smooths the air pocket a.k.a. the invisable drag chute. behind the trailer or box truck. . U.P.S. has a couple in Dallas Tx with smaller versions on their delivery vans. They swear by them.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence 7 hours ago.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service