Every once in awhile I run across an ad where the rig, instead of duallies (with the requisite 6 lug axle) appears to have two axles.  See attached.

In other words, one wheel is to the rear, not the side, of the other, so it looks like both rear tires are easily accessible to air up and/or replace?  To me this seems like a big benefit, but maybe it's offset by maintaining two axles?  Not being up under one or truck expert I assume it's two axles...

Would this setup negate the need for the 6 lug axle (for those of you unfamiliar with the motorhomes most of the ones through 89 were recalled so these could be put on)?  I'm wondering, since this is a 1980 if this was an alternative option.

I've asked this question on another forum, but wanted to get opinions here as well.  If you've seen my question elsewhere, apologies!

Here's the ad (Durango, CO) in case anyone is looking and interested:

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/5516029652.html

Tags: axles, rear, toyota, wheels

Views: 117

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Toyota experimented with both options through out the years, The H/D Dually pick-up. a.k.a. one tons.

With the Duallys, the side to side stability was greatly increased. With the *floater tandem style,one wheel behind the other, leveled out the *tail weight of the truck. After numerous studies and input,, The Dually version worked best in over-all stability of the vehicle. In 1978, Toyota used their mini motorhome version of the Dolphin and installed a floater axle behind the dually wheel set up. The dually wheels were 15 inch rims and tires and the floater was 13 inch wheels and tires. The driver had a control lever that they would *lift the floater axle UP while making sharp turns, and then LOWER when treking along on the highway.

The Dolphin originally had the 22 R 4 cyl,(upgraded 20 R engine, from a 2.0 L. to a 2.2 L). It had the 5 speed manual, with the upgrade version to 4 speed automatic. The manual had better fuel mileage and torque over the automatic. They also put the V-6 as an option, but the first generation V-6 were prone to blowing head gaskets. It took Toyota 4 years to work the bugs out of that problem.

In my opinion, I would opt for the DUALLY rear axle, over the twin singles. Ive run both options and with the dually rear end, you have a lot less *side to side wondering and wobble, especially with a cross wind.

Thanks.  That makes sense. And lots of good additional information here, too.  I had read a little about the head gasket issue, so good to have it reiterated.  And, the comment on the difference between the manual and automatic is useful as well.  Being in the mountains, having to get out and back in again, I feel partial to the six cylinder, but people seem to love the four for reliability/fixability.  One in my neighborhood is a four and the woman said she never had any issues (as long as you don't mind putting on your flashers and letting the big rigs push you up the mountain).  She's one tough lady, though.  I don't think her rig would have dared argued with her.

Reminds me of what me and a couple of my mechanics had done to a Sun chaser mini M/H once.

(I owned a Toyota rebuild shop in Michigan for 15 yrs). We shoved a 350 chevy engine under the hood with a 2 speed power glide trans,(yes we hacked and cut and chopped to get the engine and trans in there). But garranteed it would climb a steep grade with out a lick of problems, The only draw back was when ya rapidly accelerated from a red light, everything that was stowed in the cab ended up in the far back corner of the RV. Of course with THAT MUCH OVER KILL POWER UNDER THE HOOD,, we didnt care about gas mileage.(side note,,, The original front suspension didnt fair very well with the *upgraded V-8 shoved up under the hood.)

And Yes, the 4 cyls are way under powered for the weight and the newer 6 cyls,are better made and actually get decent fuel mileage.

Glad you joined and posted!  Sounds like you are wealth of information on these.  Interesting idea to drop a different engine in but I'm pretty comfortable leaving in what fits - LOL.  

I've read you can put a different gear ratio in these to help as well...?

But if I did I'd have to find someone for that.  I'm having an rv port built and planning to do the interior, systems,some exterior and basic engine maintenance myself–but I'm going to be relying on finding and using a good local mechanic.

I've been a little discouraged researching the last year.  These little toyota homes aren't as common on the east coast near me, and most of them that come up are four cylinder. Which seems weird to me.  And when one comes up in reasonable shape, they're not cheap. I know no matter what I spend initially,  the money will just keep draining out.  So I've come to the conclusion I'd rather go cheap and put my money in rebuilding her from the ground up.  The question is going to be, how much of a disaster am I willing to take on!  Um, oops did I say that?  I meant labor of love...

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Do RV Roof Repair

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Restore Aluminum

-Paint Fiberglass  

-Restore Old Finish 

-Restore A VintageTrailer 

-Restore A Class C  

-Service a Used RV

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Install and Wire RV Battery Banks

-Hook Up Batteries

-Get RV Insurance   

-Gas vs Diesel Trucks 

-Propane vs DC/AC - scroll down to very bottom.

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge

RV ARTISTS 

Paige's VintageTrailer Art  

Paige's VintageTrailerFabric

Artist Roads                                            Sandy's Stained Glasshttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/552605816752050167/     

COME JOIN US on GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Discussion Forum

Owner's Manuals 6 Replies

Started by Nancy Short. Last reply by Dawn Michelle Apr 30.

Two axles on a Toyota motorhome rather than rear duallies? 4 Replies

Started by Dawn Michelle. Last reply by Dawn Michelle Apr 1, 2016.

Blog Posts

Winterizing question

Posted by Robert beesley on November 18, 2017 at 4:31pm

Road Report #1

Posted by Dawn Michelle on November 4, 2017 at 10:42pm — 2 Comments

Advice on Appolo value

Posted by Glen on October 27, 2017 at 1:16am

Gas Tank again ? Need a little help..

Posted by Norman Osbourne on October 24, 2017 at 5:30pm — 3 Comments

And, Liftoff!! Well, Tomorrow...

Posted by Dawn Michelle on October 17, 2017 at 7:54pm — 5 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.         JOIN HERE NOW!

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

YOUR OWN GORVs T-Shirt!

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases. You could get computer viruses or hacks. Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2017   Created by Pat Daly.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service