Well we have been working on the Cabana once again. This year we are putting in all new vents. Adding a roof rack and a ridge pole for our Cabana tent. To see the tent click here And to top it off our old girl gets new paint this year.
So here are some pics of our progress so far.
The roof rack is made from some stuff I found at a scrap yard. It's angle and expanded metal, with feet for mounting.
The rack welded up and waiting for new vents to get in before mounting.
Finally the new vents are here and in so we can mount the new rack. The X marks the hole I found in a old patch. A new patch will be made.
So a fresh coat of roof sealer with the new vents and a 1/16 inch aluminum plate to replace the patch. Went with metal vents seemed like a better fit. And a coat of sealer to reflect heat.
The roof rack mounted and sealed.
An overview of the ridge pole and rack basically done.
And the paint is getting striped in prep for a fresh coat. We are going with the same basic colors a touch more pink then mauve trimmed in an off white.
Still more to do but it's getting there! We will add updates as we get more done.
Well, started getting the serious rust off today. The horizontal panel connectors are rusting from the inside out. We will have to replace them one day but for now a very stout wire brush and anti rust treatment. Looking better all the time.
Got a bit more done this weekend. Put primer on and sand most of it back off so you can put more on. Seems futile but in the end worth it.
Slowly working around the old girl. We are using two colors of primer to show spot that need more work.
Still a bit more on the front to do. Put rust breaker ("Kroil Oil" it works) on the bumper bolts today and the wiper arms I'll pull them after work tomorrow. I got to this point and it started to rain. Oh well sand and prime some more..lol You can see some of the worst rust on the pass wheel well connector. Hard to see but the windscreen is masked with black duct tape to protect the rubber as i sand next to it.
Well, we got one day of sun and we got a good coat of primer on. At least the part that was ready. The way the weather has been it's a hurry up and wait job. lol
Finally got some weather and time, so the sanding and priming continues. Can't wait to get some color on the old girl.
So the priming is about done. I put a final coat of primer over the whole Cabana today.I am hoping to get some color on in the next few days. My work keeps getting in the way of Cabana time..lol
Something interesting to note here. I am using for the first time for me a HVLP type spray gun. This newer type paint sprayer uses about half as much paint as the older tried and true paint sprayer. I started with my old gun and decided to buy the newer type to save paint and overspray.
So here is the back with the lower tent pole still attached. And finally in primer!!! YAAAA!!!
Another day of sunshine and another day of working on the Cabana instead of other peoples boats. So we got the primary color on today. Can you see the pink. We went with a pale pastel pink. We debated long and hard and decided to go with a period color. We will add a, wait Pat likes surprises more as we get more done.
Well we had one more day of sun and now the rain is back. We did get a second coat of paint on and the rear ladder and bumper painted and today got most of the front end put back together. The front bumper is in the shop and will go on tomorrow.
And the front.
Another day and we got more done. Joy got Cabana emblems shined up and that is all that is left now. I rebuilt the mirrors with stainless innards no more rusty stuff! Bumper and tail lights ect all got done today. I'll get the emblems on tomorrow and be done. Well except the wheels. Now they look really bad..lol
We are slowly (see weather) getting all the bits and pieces put back on. Joy shined the CABANA emblems to a mirror finish. The rear one had only two tabs holding it so we glued it as well with a marine adhesive/sealent I added LED clearance lights as well.
Got some time this afternoon to do some cabana work. Had to add our new to us license plate frames. That we paid way to much for on e-bay but are totally cool and fit so well. Also had time to do some detailing stuff like the windshield rubber, tires, new t/p holder mounted. Getting to the details. I'll paint the wheels white as well. Were thinking she will stay as she is for now. I may get a white strip down low on the side but we are happy with our "Pretty in Pink Cabana"
The Front: With our "Perfect Pet" Jumping Jack Flash, doing what he always does.
Our over priced, priceless to us, license plate frames.
The rear is also about done.
Matching rear plate frame. We saw one that said "I Know, I know, License and Registration" Had to think about that one.
Well the final installment on this blog. Wheels and lower white strip are done. Hard to see the strip in the photos but it looks very nice. So Pat the colors are a pale pastel pink with gloss white trim. Not very exciting but she sure is Pretty in Pink!! Today's photos below.