This is not my first older RV, but it's the first one I've had with so many things that need fixing. I'd love to exchange ideas for renovations and work-arounds before I drop too much money into her in the wrong direction.

Cosmetically, she's a cutie, clean, retro, mostly original. Got her dirt cheap, ran like a top, til I tried to drive her home and she died in the parking lot. Did some rewiring, replaced the power steering pump, changed the plugs, had alternator and battery tested. Put in a new carburetor. She runs now, but hesitates off the line. Pretty sure carb needs adjusting and maybe a new distributor cap.

Sadly, the "mostly original" goes for her water lines and facilities as well. I've already dropped out the rusted through propane tank that was mounted underneath, on the passenger side. What a fiasco, needle went haywire, propane spewing out of rotted seal...cute firefighters, but damn.

Then I tried to start the fridge on electric. Nothing. I've got a new propane tank set up but waiting til this weekend to connect it as the fire extinguisher was out of date and figured I'd just pick me up a new one before lighting any matches. We'll see if that makes a difference. I'm pretty sure it's the original Dometic, so it might just be a dead horse.

Figured water would be easier. LOL...at this point, why I'd think anything would be easy is beyond reasoning. Suffice it to say, every RV and parts store in town knows me by name now. Had to replace old, flared t's, and of course each opening was a different size, as were the lines they were attached to. I admit, I swore a few times.

Got it together, not a leak. Then. Down a few feet, leak. I'd broken more of those damn flared fittings. The question I'm asking myself now is, do I repair this, one line at a time, or do I rip out the already many-times repaired bathroom and replace it all with shiny new stuff?

Bottom line. I'm a woman who's always up for a challenge, and this mechanical and plumbing stuff are things I've never done, but the learning curve is mighty steep from where I'm standing.

I've attached some pics, comments, suggestions, guidance all welcome!

Corey

Tags: 1975, Bathroom, Dodge, Single, Sportsman, dometic, plumbing, refridgerator, renovation

Views: 4250

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I do love that table.

Thanks Rick! I love the table too. I'm trying to get creative about stabilizing it so the screws don't rip out. It's the typical table that is mounted on a pole, and no matter how many times I ask my son to not lift himself off the cushions by using the table, he forgets. I'm thinking maybe just a 4x4 block between the back lip and the seat for now. Any suggestions?

Corey

My granddad had a table that was similar.  No map on it, though.  What he did was to make a large "X" bracket that went between the table and the pole.  That gave the table the support it needed when someone used it as a "lift" up.

I'm trying to picture the x bracket. Did he attach it to the pole?

ran into waterline problems in an old trailer i had years ago. good friend of mine says old copper lines actually expand causing problems and making new parts hard to fit. i eventually changed the water lines to a flex type. 

Thanks Chuck! These are actually the old black lines, with flared fittings in 3/8 size. Except, sometimes one line off the "t" will be 1/4, another 3/8, and another 1/2. I've sorted this part out by buying ever Pex connector I could find at Home Depot. Every time I replace one line, another old connector snaps, but there are only so many lines, right?

You probably know this but camper fridges don't work like a home one. When you plug them in you don't hear them start up and it may take several hours to cool down.

Hi Tom! I finally sorted this out! For whatever reason, the fridge will only run if it's connected to the auxiliary battery. Doesn't matter if it's running on propane or 120, still has to have that aux hookup. So, fridge is running :-)

Corey, My 1970 operroad was the same way it had a switch that controled eather 120 or propane, this switch is hooked to the 12volt system, if the switch does not get juice the fridge won't work no matter what you do. I had all the same problems with mine as you are but it will be nice when your done and out camping as was mine. Good luck with your project.

Nice floorplan, I love the u-shaped booth.  We have a '77 Sportsman!

That booth was a big plus for me as I work online and can just have a dedicated work area!

Wow. That's a LOT of work, all told. I've got an '87 Sportsman "Establishment" with that "stumbling" problem, coming off the line. If you've replaced the carb, I'm guessing it's either an adjustment needed or a vacuum leak in some line involved. But a very basic, too oft overlooked thing is simply - the fuel filter.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service