Hello all

so let me start with a little history about 2 years ago we decided that we wanted our own camper instead of always mooching a bed in one of my buddys campers. well we happend to stumble on this 1976 layton that was on craigslist. It was a good price and the owners before us had put some time and effort into the inside. it was very clean and solid no soft spots or water damage and they had just reupholstered all the cushions with a vinyl. so i paid the lady and brought her home. over the last 2 years we have only used it a couple of times due to the fact that there is not much work in my trade around where we live so i have been traveling most of the time in the summer and staying with my buddy in his brand new fifth wheel. But now i have some free time and am trying to get this thing back into usable condition. so my first question for you kind folks is i hooked up to it last week to bring it back to our house from my parents where i store it to start working on some of the other issues and when i pluged it into my truck and checked the lights only my right rear turn signal was working. so i checked the plug on the camper and noticed that some of the wires were lose and i could pull them right out since i dont know how old it was i and didnt look in great shape i bought a new one and put it on. then i got my test light out and tested the truck side and realized that the ground wire was broke along with a black/red wire witch i am assuming is the +/accesory wire so i spliced them back together. then i went to the tail lights on the camper and pulled them off and gently pulled out as much of the wire as i could and noticed that there were some old repairs that didnt look to good so i repaired them and checked and cleaned the grounds then i pulled all of the marker lights and found more old splices and repaired them as well i then realized that most of the markers had been replaced with newer lights that do not have a ground wire they just work off of contact so i cleaned it all up so they were being ground. so as of right now i have only the right rear tail light and still no brake lights and for turn signals when i turn the right signal on every marker light blinks along with both rear turn signals. and when i turn the left on only the left rear blinks. and since i am no electricen and cant really afford to take it to somebody any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your help.

Views: 230

Reply to This

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Help

Started by Brianna Scroggins in RV Repair & Maintence yesterday.

1973 Scamper Class C electrical question 1 Reply

Started by Ken Vanderburg in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Jimco_W001 Mar 29.

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service