This summer I have been hitting up some campgrounds with the new camper, and most of them have WiFi access. Usually, we are behind trees, a hill, or other RV's of most AP antennas. At an earlier visit to a favorite campground, I could connect at a blistering 6~11 mbps with a weak signal (2~3 bars at best) wanted to see what was out there that could help me out, and found that there are many products geared for RV's and extending WiFi's but nothing in the budget I wanted to spend.

I did a search and found a couple of programs: NetStumbler and Easy WiFi Radarand loaded them into the laptop.

I also found this website:
Dusty Dragon Free Wifi Anywhere

I watched many of the youtube videos about extending your WiFi range and such, making antennas, cantennas, wifi dishes etc and it looked easy enough. so I went to work with what I could get my hands on cheap.

Making your own seems to be the gig, pretty cool perspective I think.

I had the USB wifi dongle that I had been using so there was no expense there. The task was to find a dish that had a focal point in the right place, was small enough to use in a camper (no big thing that eats up space) and had to weather the elements of camping.

So, after an hour of searching around the house, 30 minutes with some bench time and tools, and 15 minutes with the laptop this is what I came up with:

Shown here with my Homemade HD antenna, perched up above my camper you can see my own Mini WiFi dish. Its gain is amazing! From my place, I could only see my own network but with this mini dish I can find 28 access points just looking one direction, and looking another, I can connect at full speed, full strength to the public library's public access point about 6 blocks away, since it's within direct visual range with no obstructions to worry about.

Back at the campground 2 weeks later, I connected easily and found another 16 AP's that I could connect to! The gain was no less than -15db. but what was more amazing was how many AP's I could find and jump right into. I was able to aim the dish across San Diego Mission Bay, and connect to the AP at the Hyatt Regency about 3 miles away.

Amazing. I never knew it was so easy! Ya gotta love learning stuff on the internet.

SO, the question now is, has anyone else here done any local wifi sniffing? did you get the results you hoped for?

The Home made HDTV antenna you see there actually works BETTER than the set on my roof that I paid $350 for 2 years ago.

If you need any help with these amazing little DIY projects let me know.

Views: 6045

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I need one of these sifi wifi thingys.  I am parked at my sister's for the winter.  She has WiFi but the signal is weak.  Call me 205-587-4612 or email.  Thanks, Ed

Ed,  message sent.

I want to know how you made the TV antenna - everything I've tried sucks!!

I just bought an rv with out any cable or wifi equipment on it,  I want to wire it so I can get wifi.  what did you use for material to assemble the dish.. and do you have any tips or tricks.  I have a 84 class A, that is basicly a blank canvas!  I really like the inginuity of your project.

Thanks

Cade

I'd like to order one of these as I will be doing a lot of writing during Bears' Quest, for newspapers and magazines and will need a reliable way of getting them off to the editors. Thanks Jim, and possibly you TV antenna too, can you tell me more about it?

Thanks again,

Bear

dustydragon website is defunct

The best info on your HD tv antenna is to google search for "Home made Coat Hanger TV antenna" and watch a couple of the videos.  Its super simple.

I'll have more detail on the wifi dishes shortly.

Jim, are you still making the si,fi wi,fi dishes? If so I would like to order one! Give me a call with the details
Dennis 503 341 1930

This is so genius  !!!! I gotta build one. I do have a question about the dongle..will any dongle work of does it have to be like the one you have? If so where do I get one?

The dongle's that work best include a desktop 'stand'.  I use that stand to base the dongle in the dish.  But as long as the dish focal point is at the point in the dongle where the antenna is,  then it will work great.   If you are not at the focal point,  its pure decoration.

Jim I am a math freak anyway can you send me the formula for finding the focal point?

Thanks Nick

Hi Jim, this kind of stuff always  gets me interested and will gladly make my own any day, would you mind putting a picture out there so I can see aha you made????After working in the ocal dump here where we live I am sure I already have what it takes.......thanks for your time........Richard

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Paige's VintageTrailer Art  

Paige's VintageTrailerFabric

Artist Roads                                            Sandy's Stained Glasshttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/552605816752050167/     

COME JOIN US on GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

engine pull in 1991 Holiday Rambler 2 Replies

Started by John Harrison in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by John Harrison 5 hours ago.

How to install auto lamp 575 chicago tail lights? 1 Reply

Started by JP Carvallo in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Lakota Wolf on Wednesday.

Blog Posts

Wish I was going to be there.

Posted by Bill Russell on June 14, 2019 at 7:17pm

Noah works pretty good!

Posted by Steve Kaiser on May 22, 2019 at 10:27pm

1968 CANNED HAM 1955 ROYAL SPARTENET 35

Posted by harwood on May 19, 2019 at 8:48am

SPRING HAS SPRUNG - - MAYBE ??

Posted by LARRY AND GRETCHEN SCHROEPFER on April 10, 2019 at 5:14pm

What NEXT! 1.01

Posted by postman on April 4, 2019 at 5:39pm — 1 Comment

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.         JOIN HERE NOW!

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

YOUR OWN GORVs T-Shirt!

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2019   Created by Russ Johnson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service