You should be, because the DTV change is happening! Visit https://www.dtv2009.gov/ to learn more if you don't know whats happening SOON!

Going digital has MANY benefits for us RV types, mainly the ability to get QUALITY pictures on our sets, but also in the ease of finding new stations when you go to new areas. The search for me has been over for a while, but I'll help you out with your needs.

If you don't have a Digital Tuner equipped TV, there are a few Tuner Boxes that actually run off of 12 volts that work AWESOME. I use the Aptec 12 volt box bought here: Data Action

The box is only $3.99 with the US coupon that you can get here:
Government DTV website

$4 for a NEW TV tuner card that lets you get DIGITAL signals. Tell me how that could be bad?

'So what' you may say....I get cable. Not everyplace the RV goes may get cable.

"I'll need an antenna"
No, you probably already have one that will work fair, but if you want to MAKE one free that works INCREDIBLE, click here: Home Made Antenna
I have made several of those antennas, here is my most recent version (6 'Bays'):

I don't use coat hangers, but the wire rods used to hang suspension ceilings (a pack is $4 at Lowes/Home Depot) but the antenna works fantastic. I literally took the antennas down from my roof to put up one of these with BETTER RESULTS.

Here are some of the earlier ones I made, and they all OUTPERFORM my professionally installed roof mount TV antenna.

My first 4 Bay antenna

My following 5 Bay antenna

(on a side note, I live in San Diego, that antenna, on my shop, gets ALL of the channels from Los Angeles! None of my professionally installed antennas did that you see below)

Ok back to the RV TV.... Once you have a decent antenna, and a ditigal converter box you will appreciate CRYSTAL CLEAR reception, static and snow free. I assure you, you will get MORE channels with the digital tuner than you get now, WITH THE SAME ANTENNA! Build one of the ones above and you will be amazed.

Don't delay, go digital now and appreciate the difference! Even WITHOUT a HDTV, you will notice a better picture quality with the digital tuner.

If you need any assistance in this topic just let me know!

Views: 735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

folks, Jim has done it again! Yet another sci-fi digital thingy. Man, where do you get all these great ideas!!

And, very nice article alerting us to the impending changeover... DO get that government coupon by clicking on the link above. We've already done it and gotten 3 conversion boxes (2 for our rv, of course) using the FREE Government little plastic coupon. Do it now, everyone will be rushing last minute to get one.
What can I say, I'm a DIY kinda guy. The amazing part is how well those antennas work compared to stuff we actually BUY....
Ya mon, home brew is a good thing!
Jim, what happens with this digital tv stuff if i just add the converter to my existing wind up roof antenna and my tv? TV only works in my rig when I'm on 120 vold thru either land hookup or my trusty 4kw Onan. thanks. pat

p.s. Bet your out blasting along the dunes or desert this weekend... I hope!!
What happens? Nothing bad! That antenna will work fine with a converter box. The only difference the home brew antennas have is that they are more finely tuned for the UHF signal that all stations will be using (if not already) when the DTV date arrives.
As clearly shown to me, my purchased antennas work great for locals, but the home brew pulls in Los Angeles stations from my place near the Border.
And HECK NO MAN its still too hottttt in the dunes. Usually Mid Oct to Halloween is when we start going out. One of my bookmarks is the weather station were we like to go, check it out and see how hot it is!
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=MQ...
LESS THAN 100 DAYS LEFT OF ANALOG TV!~
Tonights the night that the majority of the cities in the USA will turn off their analog sigal. Yes, the Govt. has extended the deadline, but many markets are changing anyway. In the majority of US cities, 80% or more are turning off tonight.

Up to midnight, your tv will work for all the stations you get... after midnight, you may not have any!
Hey, buddy thanks for keepin us informed! Let me know what's up in San Diego rvers with this when it happens. We're in Miami right now blasting around Biscayne Bay playing Don Johnson in my buddy's boat... the best type of boat to have.

Miami is very different, not everyone speaks english, but we're likin it for the adventure.

Wow.... a real blast from the past on this post.  I hope everyone is getting awesome TV signals in their RV's!  

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Paige's VintageTrailer Art  

Paige's VintageTrailerFabric

Artist Roads                                            Sandy's Stained Glasshttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/552605816752050167/     

COME JOIN US on GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Aljo Sportsman Manual

Started by Heidi Hash in RV Repair & Maintence 12 hours ago.

15 x 22 escape hatch/vent for class c 2 Replies

Started by Barbara in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Barbara on Tuesday.

Refrigerator troubleshooting 1 Reply

Started by Mark in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by postman May 12.

Blog Posts

SPRING HAS SPRUNG - - MAYBE ??

Posted by LARRY AND GRETCHEN SCHROEPFER on April 10, 2019 at 5:14pm

What NEXT! 1.01

Posted by postman on April 4, 2019 at 5:39pm — 1 Comment

HELP !! HELP !! HELP

Posted by LARRY AND GRETCHEN SCHROEPFER on March 11, 2019 at 3:29pm

too much rain!

Posted by Steve Kaiser on March 9, 2019 at 7:01pm — 1 Comment

camping unit

Posted by Jim Ritchie on March 4, 2019 at 3:05pm — 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.         JOIN HERE NOW!

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

YOUR OWN GORVs T-Shirt!

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2019   Created by Russ Johnson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service