I just bought this 83 Brougham rv and the gen charges the battery, but no A/C to the camper. There is a 30A outlet mounted right inside of where the power cord is stored. The power cord was cut. and I am adding a male 30A plug. it did come with a 30A extension cord.  The A/C does work when plugged to shore power. Could the Gen be powering that box? Plugging the RV cord into that box be how I get A/C to the camper? I do not see any power center. just the A/C-D/C power bow with CB and Fuses. 

Thanks for the help.

Views: 774

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The shore power is separate from the genset. Try looking for other breakers, mine has one under the oven inside the coach. as well as the one at the point where the cable inters the coach.  keep checking back because there's a lot of folks on here that can help you out better than I. 

When you say "gen" you mean an AC generator, not the engine generator/alternator right? 

My knee-jerk reaction to your post is that the 30A outlet is being fed by the generator (assuming an AC generator). It's not unusual to plug your "shore power" cord into that generator plug. This eliminates the need for and complexity of an automatic transfer switch. What perplexes me is how the generator could be charging your battery without the power cord being plugged into that 30A outlet. Normally there is a converter that converts AC power (whether shore or generator) to DC power. This will power your 12V coach accessories (lights, water pump, furnace, etc.) and also charge your batteries. Without the power cord plugged into the 30A outlet while the generator is running, it's tough to imaging how the batteries are getting charged.

It is odd. Will look further into it as soon as I can.

That answers that. Your AC problem will likely be solved by plugging your "shore" power cord into that 30A outlet. You see those 2 breakers on the generator next to the start/stop switch? On mine, one powers the AC panel which in turn powers the converter. The other is for a dedicated 20A circuit for my rear AC unit. On yours, they would have probably split the circuits differently. Maybe one powers your converter (all your 12V stuff works) and the other is for your AC stuff (powers that 30A outlet)?

This thing was owned by a rocket scientist, anything goes! I have a switch next to the remote start switch that we do not know what it is for.

I would flick that switch, but with a broom handle while not sitting inside the rig.

It is tied to a relay near the water tank. I believe it powers the pump that is toast.
Yes if you want to power your coach off of the genarator you plug the coach 30 amp plug in to the 30 amp outlet in the coach this replaces being plugged in shore power
And the genarator is now powering everything including the ac

Kevin, many RV's have a 30 amp 120 volt receptacle right inside the storage box where the shore power cord is kept and it is fed from and powered by the Gensets 120 VAC output. That way you simply plug the cord into it so the genset instead of the campgrounds AC pedestal powers your RV's 120 volt appliances, PIECE OF CAKE and no other kind of a transfer switch is required. I have also seen gensets which have an auxiliary 12/14 VDC output which can be used to charge the battery when running.

John T

Johns right on this. The two fuses on the front are not AC fuses but DC I believe. The cut cord makes me wonder if there was wiring issues. You could get a $3 20/30 adapter and a $4 polarity checker from harbor freight and check the set. I believe these genny's are capable of charging the batt back through th 12 volt sys. Hint: plug it in when you disconnect and you can fire the ac while traveling. This system is much better than the auto transfer switch IMHO...let her warm 5 minutes before a load though...

David, many of those Onan's Ive seen and owned have a single pole 120 VAC 30 amp circuit breaker sort of hidden on the front but off on a side recess (not readily visible but still there)  BUT THEY INDEED HAVE AN AC BREAKER and they are known to trip (always check that if no power). I agree and think the two smaller front panel buss type black cap fuse holders are for the DC control circuit. Many of those gensets were designed to charge the 12 Volt battery that was usually mounted right near them but I think it was via the main + battery cable with no other additional smaller charge wire from the genset to the battery + (charge was built into the Onans battery cable circuit). I much prefer the receptacle system over a transfer switch anytime. NOTE on that system, the gensets Neutral must be bonded to the case/frame and NOT floated.

John T

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

1973 Scamper Class C electrical question 1 Reply

Started by Ken Vanderburg in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Jimco_W001 Mar 29.

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service