Hello All,  My 85 Dodge Motorhome has an Atwood 6 gallon propane water heater in it that a previous owner let freeze, which cracked the tank.  I'm thinking that I'd like to replace it with an electric/propane unit.  Does anyone have installation advice?  The water heater is next to the coach battery, so can I connect directly to that, or to another hot wire running through the coach?  Thanks for any assistance.

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Atwood gas/electric water heater will need both 12 volt for ignition of the propane plus a 110 volt source for the electric heater to work. So you will need to run wires from the main fuse panel for the 110 volts capable of handling at least 13 amps. If your old water heater was a pilot light model instead of an electronic ignition model then you will need to run wires for the 12 volts also from the fuse panel, sorry I do not know what amperage that part takes. But both sources of power need to be fuse protected to prevent a short from causing an electrical fire. I replaced our old water heater with just a regular Atwood propane electronic ignition system that was like what was in it and it functions very well. We do not take long showers so have never had a problem with running out of hot water.  The problem with running 110 volt wires is what prevented me from putting in a gas/electric Atwood model in our motorhome. Ours is so sealed up and far (about 10 feet) from the fuse panel it was just not practical for me to attempt such an install.  Hope this helps in your decision making. Going with a gas/electric heat is a great idea if you can get the wiring done easily.

Terry: Same thing happened to me when I started going through our systems after our purchase. I pulled the tank and took it to a good welder in town. He welded the crack beutifully. It was aluminum and he charged me $35. I took it home and did a pressure test before installing it back in the rig. It certainly was worth a try. With new insulation our little 6 gallon hot water heater works like a champ 3 years later. It gives us luxurious short showers and plenty of hot water for dishes. What more could you ask for! P

Thanks for the response, everybody.  Russ is correct, my old unit is a pilot light model.  I also have the heat exchanger which I'd like to try to keep.  I've been searching on-line for a replacement, and the only ones with a heat exchanger are, naturally, the more expensive gas/electric units.  I think I could live with the pilot light if I could find one with the heat exchanger.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

1973 Scamper Class C electrical question 1 Reply

Started by Ken Vanderburg in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Jimco_W001 Mar 29.

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service