For anyone that hasn't heard of it, GacoRoof is - by far - the best roof sealer.

Developed in Seattle, it's 100% silicon!

This comes highly recommended by many RV'ers.

I used it on the roof seams of my 33 yr old Winnebago and it works great!

Be warned - it's NOT cheap - can run between $60-80 for a gallon can but worth every penny.....

http://www.gacoretail.com/gacoroof.html

well, that's my two bits..........

~Robert the Hair

Tags: RV roof sealer, caulking, leak, leaks, rain

Views: 29375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Robert:

We have had this question come up a lot lately (what is the best roof sealer for RV's) and I have to say I agree!  We have sold quite a bit of Gaco Roof for RVs and it is a fantastic product.  A gallon of GacoRoof will cover 100 square feet, and it's best to do 2 coats, so figure one gallon for every 50 square feet of surface you want to cover.

The coating is very reflective, so it has the added benefit of keeping interiors cooler while keeping them dry.

-Steve

Tags: roof sealer, gacoroof, leak, roof leak

YUP!

I carry a gallon everywhere we go, now.  We go coast to coast and I don't want to be caught without it - just in case we spring a leak!

I used the disposable sponge brushes and just dab it on and let it flow.  Stuff is awesome!

Sealed all the leaks on the roofline of our '78 heavily-abused Winnebago....

Robert:

Great idea on the sponge brushes!  Do you have any special tricks to prepping the surface, or do you just slap on more GacoRoof?

we have an aluminum sheet roof so I just used a healthy does of Windex to take off the dust/grime - then just slathered it on.

BE CAREFUL ON HOT DAYS!

it comes out of the can like cold honey but as it warms up it gets thinner and thinner

did a roof edge - 20 minutes later it started dripping down the wall!!

best to use it under about 80 degrees for better control of the coat.

....just sayin'

Hi,

Is this just for the flat surfaces or can it be used for joints and seam openings like where the skylights come through the roof?

I just purchased a 1989 Winnebago that has a uncoated aluminum roof and I want to protect the aluminum and seal the joint between the flat aluminum and the fiberglass crown between the roof and the walls.

Peter

eternabond and gacoroof.... those two words are the holygrail for a newbie like myself. thank you for the tip! I will give them a shot! also... sincerest thanks for the link to buy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNgsZ4LHyM&list=UU_MBX6aK5ZU2I...

watch this video, i don't trust silicone because it will not stick to alot of things, and if you ever have to cover it your stuck.    redwing

Here is a good source for roof coating also....  The elastomeric stuff is what you're looking for... fill/seal  cracks then paint this stuff on.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv_roof_repair.html

I'm used to dealing with sailboats - keeping water out - and keeping things sealed against lots of exposure to the elements...

I agree silicone will fail in most circumstances on exterior applications- that said - although marine products usually aren't budget friendly - 3m 4200 sealant for something you'd like to get off again someday - or 3M 5200 sealant if you want it sealed permanently and whatever you may be attaching will also be almost permanent.  You can also fill cracks and voids with epoxy resins and filler mixed in.

In a lot ways, still cheaper in the long run...

Just a thought, (have swapped Gulf cruiser for land cruiser)

-Stu

Hello,

I have to recoat my EPDM this season using GacoRoof, I called Gaco and the Representive said I probably would not have to prime the roof Gaco roof primer, would anyone who has GacoRoof let me know if primed or did not pime.

Thank You

I have never had to use primer - the GacoRoof bonds to just about anything.

Tim:

We sell a lot of GacoRoof to RV'ers and as Robert mentioned usually it doesn't require priming.  But the manufacturer does say that some aged EPDM requires the use of their primer.  If in doubt you can get a GacoRoof Adhesion Test Kit and test it out yourself.  The test kit is free; you just pay the cost of FedEx shipping.

Basically you paint a stripe of the coating, stick the strip of tape into it while it's still wet, let it dry, then pull up the tape.  If the coating under the tape sticks to the roof, you have good adhesion.  If all the coating pulls up with the tape, you might need the primer.

Thanks to Robert Wesner and Steve for the information, I am going to order a test kit.  Steve you mentioned you sell a lot of GacoRoof do have site to order from?

Thanks again

Tim

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service