We have a brown stove/oven (1968 vintage) that we'd like to refinish in white.  I'm guessing that heat will be a problem.  Anybody have any experience or ideas as to what type paint might work and continue to look good?   Thanks.

Gary Anderson

Views: 3412

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/

http://www.stovepaint.com/Products/Products.asp?ID=25http://www.sto...

Most of my coating experience is in commercial, residential coatings, with dabblings in just enough automotive to get a few favorites and a good knowledge base, and just enough in high temp paint to know that it is usually a maintenance headache at best . Unfortunately when it comes to high temp coatings, your best bet is to sandblast and get it powder coated. However for those of us on a budget, I've heard good things about these 2 product lines from a few of my friends still in the biz. The real problem with paint and high temps is that the heat causes the pigments and chemicals in the paint to oxidize at an accelerated rate, causing the paint to fail prematurely. No matter the paint, it will fail sooner than a powder coat. But as long as you can live with recoating every yr or two, you'll be fine. I hope that helps you at least decide on a direction. The links to the paint lines are refusing to paste below, so read above lol. Hope that helps.

RMS

Thanks, Mad Scientist.  Next I'll have to figure out how to remove the existing enamel.

Gary Anderson

If you're going to go all the way and get it powder coated, then spend the extra and have it sand-blasted first. If not, sand til surface is smooth with 60-80 grit, then 150, then 220, and dust extremely well between coats.

Stoves have a porcelain finish where the coating is baked in a kiln making a very durable finish.  I have painted my stove several times with different types of high temperature paint and I agree that you need to be willing to repaint often.  Burner inserts may help to extend this time.  There are companies that will re- porcelianize your stove, but at a substantial cost.

The discussions on the way to repaint the stove top are great,, Yes, sand-blasting and Painting, and even powder coating are excellent ideas.  Yes they are great, but not as good as Kiln baked original. Us everyday folks don't have a Kiln just laying about to use on a regular basis.Richard and the Mad scientist made excellent recommendations.. I have gone with Light grinding, (to get the original bake coat off, (that was pretty much the only way I found to get that stuff off), then alot of sanding,, I cheated with electric sander to get the big stuff off,, then went down to finer grit, down to 200 grit for that baby butt smooth finish. A good wipe down with mineral spirits, air dry and at least 3 to 4 coats of HIGH HEAT primer, followed with HIGH HEAT Automotive paint.  Yes,, you will have to touch up every so often, (couple yrs usually). But its the BUDGET way and seems to work.  With new colors comming out all the time,, The color you want is probably out there at your local auto parts store, or they can order it for you.

I'm with Lakota Wolf on this one from a money standpoint, and thanks for the correction on the porcelain coating R. Cobbs. I would personally use Lacquer thinner over mineral sprits only because it has a higher flash to it. Meaning it evaporates faster, leaving less oily residue.

Thanks to everybody who responded.  I now have a greater appreciation of the process involved.   The alternative is to buy new.  They seem to generally cost about $250 at the RV surplus places (sigh).

Gary Anderson

What did you end up doing/using, and how is it holding up?

I bought a used stove/oven for cheap, then discovered when I got it home that it is almond, not white.  I had planned to use it anyway, but now I think I'll try powder coating the original stove, which is in very nice condition.  Sorry it took to long to reply.  I was traveling.

Hi! High temperature paint is what you would use.

I had my stove top and fan above powder coated three years ago and both still look fine. I use a smaller owner operated powder coater and ask him to include items in his next run of the required color and tell him it's cash, no receipt required. I've used him numerous times and the cost has always been $20.00 flat rate. He's already being paid for the run so it's no effort for him to add in a few extra pieces within reason. For the stove he told me to sand off all of the gloss/shine. Powder is quite thick and covers sanding swirls.

Thanks for the tip, Terry.  I thnk I'll try it.  Sorry to take so long to respond.  Been traveling.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service