Hi there, I am a newbie to the trailering world. I bought my 1958 12' Cardinal last summer and camped in it about 4 times with no problem. Even rained on us one night, no leaks. Then we towed in the rain, and that is where we have a problem. The water got in through the front seam and damaged the interior paneling on either side of the window and where the seam is. Now, the interior is not original at all, and is painted a shade of green that we are not in love with. I don't have the time to repaint the interior right now, and don't have the time, money or place to rip out any paneling and replace it. It has been dry now for a year, and has been aired out several times. There isn't any smell of mildew, so I think we are okay.

What I want is to seal the front seam so this doesnt happen again, and cover up the damage until I can manage to do it right. I'm thinking of using grasscloth or grassmat on the front wall, headliner and rear wall to give it a kind of "Tiki" feel.

So, what should I use to caulk the seam?

Should I use some Kilz primer first? What do you suggest I use for the wall covering, and where do you think I can get it cheaply? How do you suggest I hang it?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Tags: leaks, repair, trailer, vintage, water

Views: 1204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not the one to help with the repair but from a design aspect, I would not use the grassmat inside as it may retain moisture buildup from the air.  I have a couple brand new grassmat beach mats and I put them inside a storage cupboard.  It was warm and I opened the cupboard and the mat has a strong grassy wickerish odor.  I wont be keeping them in the trailer any more.  Just a thought if you want to keep it sweet smelling. If I am off the mark on the product your referencing too, then disregard my post lol. 

Hope someone can help with your seal issue.

Thanks, I definitely don't want more mildew! I think I will use the faux grasscloth wallpaper instead. Just looks like grasscloth, but not.

Caulk - Do NOT use silicone - preferably 3M 4200 or 5200 - 5200 for a permanent fix

Yes  - Use Kilz if concerned about anything underneath - helps protect against mildew  - good stuff

A lot of wallcoverings are self adhesive now - prep with some windex and squeegee 'em on... but getting back off may be either real easy or a real pain... PO of my coach used it in some areas - doesn't look bad and stays up...I just wish he had trimmed it better....

white panel board - cheap - easy to cut... fasten with small brass screws

drapes - floor to ceiling

Hope this helps - Good luck...

Thanks. I know that we want to tear the paneling out to replace it at some point, so I'm not worried about having to remove wallcoverings. I was thinking about just using a faux grasscloth wallpaper instead of real grasscloth, as it would be cheaper and easier. This is just a temporary fix so that I don't have to look at the damaged area, because it makes me sad.

Thanks for the advice on what caulk to use. I'll go to an RV supplier and get some that will flex.

also, my trailer is a canned ham, so the front and rear walls are curved, which makes hanging any paneling difficult. Also, because of the angle drapes have to be secured at the bottom and top, as they will hang strange. the damaged area is where the bed/couch is, which adds to the trickiness.

You could spray 3M contact adhesive and attach any fabric/material you choose if you know you will be pulling the panels out later...

Not sue if you can get 3M 4200 or 5200 at an RV place (you may) - but it definitely will be at a marine supply house.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service