If anyone is interested, I converted my very poor Chrysler ignition system to a High Energy Ignition. It Was very easy and about $125.00 dollars. It has made a BIG difference: faster starts, more power and better MPG. Also all parts are readily available at any auto parts store as they are all GM except the distributor. Email me if interested and I will give you the details.

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now it's a one wire ignition system. All it needs is 12 volts. Should be very reliable. Please let us know how it works over time.

I have made two trips and I love it. About 1/2 mpg increase, but when I first installed it, it started so fast that it scared me.

Jack

Send me the info on how to & parts needed..

engineear@aol.com

Thks

AL

Hi Jack I'm new to this site. I have a 1978 Dodge Midas sportsman 20ft and have been trying to find a service manual for the engune. I got it given to me in pieces and I need a reference to put the motor back together. All the bolts and parts are there I just need some sort of guide or manual, do u know where I can get a 78 manual or motor diagrams. It can we with the owners manual but that has nothing about the motor. I hope I can point me in the right direction, I've been trying for weeks.... Thank you

Assuming yours is a class C on a Dodge chassis any after market manual for a similar chassis and same size engine that is a full tear down manual 'should' suffice. Haynes, Chiltons etc.

However, I offer the below based on an additional assumption ie you may not have ever built or rebuilt an engine. If I am wrong I apologize.

No manual will give you the size of any of the numerous bolts required in an engine. They may give you the bolt rating required and the torque spec. Both are critical.

Should you use a grade 4 bolt for a head rather than a grade 8 expect to be towed at some point.

Should your torque value be off, same thing.

If the crank is out you have to be experienced to install. Clearances are critical, as well as the above.

If the camshaft is out you can very easily destroy it when installing.

Along with the cam are the timing gears and chain. Correct installation and set up are critical.

Assuming you have a mechanical fuel pump, incorrect installation means no start.

In a rebuild correct lubes, clearances, torques etc. MUST be used.

This is a very small list of problems you 'may' encounter. Believe me, there are many more.

If you are not confident check around with car clubs etc. for someone willing to guide you. May cost you, but a replacement engine will likely cost a lot more.

Not trying to dissuade you from doing it yourself. Anything you undertake like this is a beneficial learning experience. Just trying to ensure you understand the enormity of the task.

Again, if you have the experience and ability ignore the above.

Hi Kris, I have a Chilton Repair Manual 1967-1988 Dodge and Plymouth truck Book. It covers Engine overhaul if you are interested. $17.50 plus shipping.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence 10 hours ago.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service