We attended two vintage camper rallies in October 2018.  At both rallies, strangers walked in to visit our Fireball.  Both visitors shocked us by saying they own Fireball campers and that both are original with no restorations or changes. The first was a 1963 Meteor with toilet (16ST) in Missouri.  The second is a 1964 Meteor (16S) in Arkansas.  When I checked the Arkansas Meteor VIN, its VIN and ours differ by only six digits.  I can only assume both were completed the same week if not the same day.  His Meteor didn’t have the red ‘arrow’ on both sides like ours and all the brochures: it had a red “bar” on the sides.  His has two loft bunks, but only one set of the small, upper windows normally associated with loft bunks.  When he bought it, he found the original melware plates, silverware, cups, glasses, dish cloths, etc.  It was like the original owners went camping, rerturned home, and sold it as is.  The owner bought it 15 years ago from his brother who paid $500 for it at a garage sale.  It (like the first one found during the Carthage rally) has never been restored or changed from the original.  Like two time machine visits to 1963 and 1964.  

Views: 347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thats awesome,, Just proves ya cant build em like that anymore.. 50 plus year old trailers still rolling around.

Well, yes and no.  Any camper this old still on the road means someone/many owners dumped a lot of money, time, and work into it.  Derel is still on the road despite having more money into him than a comparable NEW camper.  The one in Webb City was the result of being shut inside a building for more than 25 years and not used.  It still has major issues the owner doesn’t know must be there based on limited observation.  Derel’s twin is pretty much rotted out.  I enjoy vintage campers, but I suffer no illusions about construction quality on these derelicts.  Although I only worked directly on Derel, I habitually inspect other folks’ vintgage campers when I can and offer any assistance to other owners.  Common to these campers is substandard materials by modern standards (non-galvanized nails, screws, bolts, etc; wood too thin for longterm strength; electrical components insufficiednt for modern use; etc).  RVIA standards would likely not allow sale of many I see at rallies or on the road.  There is a reason these old ones are still on the road: some idiot like me dumped a lot of good money into a project..or the common issue of someone pulling/using a rotted out derelict with danger of crashes.  Too many cases of those crashes in the news.  And the amount of restoration videos validate how many campers are constantly being rebuilt.  But these are just sooooo much fun.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service