I know a lot of people that don't even think about the drive axle in their Motorhome, But here is a simple solution to preserving the bearings in the rear axle. As a Retired Technician I have built my share of rear axles in my time, and one of the things I like to do after building the axle (replacing all the bearings) or changing axle grease is when I fill up the housing with grease I like to substitute 1 bottle of   LUCAS OIL TREATMENT  for 1 bottle of grease. The purpose is for the same reason I like to use it in the Engine. It stays in and on the bearings and races just like in the engine (To keep from having a dry start up or no oil in the bearings). This is a simple solution and the LUCAS is about the same price. I am NOT a sales rep or anything like that so please don't think I am trying to sell the LUCAS product, but it seems to be the only thing I trust for their advertised applications. I will start posting some of my other tricks, past experiences and knowledge on as time goes by. If anyone has a question they would like to ask, just send me a question and I will do my best to answer.

Mike   

Tags: Drive axle repair, Lucas Oil

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had to rebuild the rear end in my chevy sidekick and added Lucas to it. works great!

kewl, thanks...

Mike: Glad to hear you are taking tech questions. On my 68 dodge m-300 chassis I took the rear brakes off and did some maintenance on the wheel cylinders. When I put it back together I greased the inside and outside rear wheel bearings just like repacking the front ones. I cant find any torque spec on the bearing nut for pre-load anywhere. Do you have any suggestions? For now I just tightened them down then backed off and hand tightened with out a wrench. Any input will help. thanks, Jim

Jimmy, here is the way I was taught over 30+ years ago,

Spinning the freshly assembled hub (assuming it's done correctly).
Torque to 70 to 75 ft lbs., back the nut off 1/4 turn and re-torque to 20 ft' lbs..

New bearings are 75, used are 70. The reason for this, is that the old bearings are already worn in and have a wear pattern.

The hub should now spin with aprox. 20 in lbs input.(turning torque)
If there is ANY play or the hub does not spin freely re-examine your assembly effort

If there is too much play in the hub, you could have worn bearings, or a race not seated all the way

Good luck, If you friend me, I will be able to get messages quickly, and not have to look for them, I also can give you my phone # as well If you like

Thanks Mike

Thanks for the TIP, Ive used Lucas in engines and transmissions, But never thought to use it in an axle. I will do that to my truck on next service.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service