Hello,

I am a International Harvester fan. My '73 Grumman Class A is on an IH chassis and so is my '71 Kragar. I'm wondering how many other members here have RV's on IH chassis. Mine are on the 1 1/2 ton chassis, and the Kragar has Moryde rubber suspension. I couldn't believe how smooth it rides. The Grumman had conventional spring suspension and will shake the grated off the stove burners on rough roads. None of that with the Moryde.  I think it rides smoother than air bags.

I know that there were a few other brands that were built on IH chassis, so lets make a list of them.      Kirk Hoffman

Views: 1905

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Terry that offer is awesome...

thanx for reply. I will e mail you       ,thanx bill

flathead4848 here hi to you all  I am working on a 1974 motorhome   it has a international chassis   don't know who made body   I want to talk to any one who has worked on one of them

hi  I am new here   ive been working on a 1974 motorhome    I dont know who built the body no info on title no refrence any where as to body    the tag I found has only vin wb ser#   but it says international 1310mhc it had 16 inch split rims  took them off put ford and dodge tubeless rims on    made a new dash  repaired dash wiring   took out 3 lbs of wire  replaced fuse panal from a Pontiac   rewired 110 system     back in the day  I worked at two different ih dealer ships  I also worked at many jobs that used ih trucks   so to close I wish to talk to all that have  had or worked on these units   thanks to all flathead4848

I must say I am sorry for all the posts  I didn't know which section to list in. so again I am truely sorry flathead4848

I have a 73 on an IH frame,but all the info ive found says its a 1350 chassis not 1310

hi flathead4848  new here   I am working on a 1974 motorhome   it has a IH chassis but I don't know who built the body   tag and title say 1310 mhc    it has a 345 eng   727 trans  and dully rear axel changed 16inch split rim for tubeless rims   did electrical both 12v  and 110v  i have questions  email me if you can help   thanks          flathead4848

Hi Mike,

What do you need to find out about your rig? Maybe I can help. I have been over under around and through Internationals for most of my life. They are the best trucks ever and I have worked as a mechanic on them for many years. I have  a bunch of trucks and a '71 Kragar, and a '73 Grumman motor home. The Kragar is in pretty rough condition so it is just going to be parts for the Grumman. They are both on the 1500 series chassis, which was a 1 1/2 ton rated chassis. The 1310 is a 1 ton rated.

Can you post some pictures of your rig? that might be a big help. I know there were a whole bunch of manufacturers that used the IH chassis, so it could be anything.

In reality, you did not have "split rims" on your rig, they were lock ring rims! Huge difference. I don't think anyone put true split rims on anything since the early 50's. They were dangerous to work on and unless they were assembled back together correctly they were bombs waiting to detonate. The lock ring rims are fairly safe as long as the ring is seated in the rim. But Due to the "Split rim" stigma tire shops are scared of them and refuse to work on them. Here is what a split rim looks like, they actually come apart in the center of the rim. There are a couple little dimples that have to be lined up before they will come apart, and if they are not put back in the right place when they are reassembled they go boom!

Well, let's see if I can answer your questions.     Sincerely, Kirk Hoffman

Hi Kirk   I don't have a camera so pictures will be on hold   You are right about the rims  have worked on them and almost killed twice by lock ring wheels  but most folks use the term split rim so you just go with it   The biggest problem I have is the shifter cable  When I shift to low its ok but to go back up it bends  I thought it was an old cable so I replaced it   put in new cable and it did the same thing  Have talked to several trans shops they tell me wrong part but when I show them original cable they get quiet  It worked when bought and worked for 40 years so it should work now  I worked on co models back in 70s with cables also some fords and dodges never had a problem like this   home is not mine its my brother in laws  Its 99% done just need to get past this Any ideas will be welcome   Thanks  Mike- flathead4848

check if shift lever moves smoothly (not running ) if not may be neutral/reverse light switch which is cam actuated with shift lever.and possibly passing downshift linkage..I use marine morse 33c cables.they are available at boat parts suppliers

How to you find who made the body??I have a 73 IH 1510 MHC with an IH 392

Hi William,

I have heard that IH actually did build a few RV's I would assume they were probably a Metro body with an RV interior. The 2 I have both have an International number plate and a builder number plate. If you have only the IH plate  you might have an IH RV Let's see some pictures!   Kirk

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Paige's VintageTrailer Art  

Paige's VintageTrailerFabric

Artist Roads                                            Sandy's Stained Glasshttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/552605816752050167/     

COME JOIN US on GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

insulation 4 Replies

Started by Barbara in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Barbara yesterday.

1992 C Coachmen 3 Replies

Started by S.Heins in Class C RV discussions. All things Class C related.. Last reply by Billy lotz yesterday.

Steel valve stems

Started by Jack Wasmuth in RV Repair & Maintence Oct 28.

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.         JOIN HERE NOW!

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

YOUR OWN GORVs T-Shirt!

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2019   Created by Russell E Johnson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service