I have been looking at late 70's early 80's motorhomes. Have seen an Apollo 33' that looks interesting as well as an Airstream similar length. Just found an 1989 Itasca 37RQ not too far from me . Was interested to know if anyone has any thoughts about these. Essentially I am looking for an RV to restore and use not necessarily in that order. The proximity of the Itasca is attractive.

Cheers

Ian

Views: 1976

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for your comment and I know it will take a lot of work for someone to restore this old girl, I so wish I was able to do it, but my health just won't let me and I had such dreams for this old girl, wish someone young who had visions could take her and make her into the beauty I know she could be, it has a good engine 454 chevy and P30 chassis and good transmission and the body is in real good condition, just needs interior work and tires, we have new seats and chairs for it, inside needs gutted and redone,but it has oak cabinets that can be redone.

Sorry to see that your health won't permit you to continue with this endeavor. They truly are classic coaches with so much potential. Take care and please keep sharing what you know. 

Good morning, Sheryl Mason; 

OK.  I understand.  And it is nice to know that you can also see the potential that it still has.  The point that it is mechanically sound (other than the tires which have a limited life expectancy just sitting around) is a very good point for a prospective buyer. 

And, diverting to your husband for a moment, from one electronics geek to another, send an e-mail message to me through the Good Old RVs system.  I have many things to say about attempting to upgrade a motor home of our vintage, and some things to check BEFORE you begin those upgrades, and some other things to watch for when doing any upgrades or system replacements.  My own vehicle is a 1987 Winnebago Elandan WCP31RT which is very similar to your 1989 Itasca Suncruiser, except for the headlight system.  Yours is the four light system while mine is the larger light two light system.  That is the main difference that you can see.  And I hope that you have an oscilloscope, Mr. Mason. 

Fairly quickly, when I started, vacuum tubes were still in vogue, so I am still fairly conversant with thermionic emission valves, went through discrete components and transistors (still have a blue CK722 in the red, white, and blue folded thin cardboard envelope), 7400 and CD4000 14 and 16 pin DIP package integrated circuits, VLSI ICs, and now microprocessors, with a preference still for 8 bit devices, such as the 8080, Z80, and the 6809. 

Enjoy;   Ralph, Latté Land, Washington 

Good morning, again, Sheryl Mason; 

The most recent news from you is not what I wanted to hear.  I was looking forward to talking with you and your husband about your venerable motor home, some of the things to watch for, some things to check (that most people might not consider), and just share some information about these distinctive motor homes.  He had done some of the things that I have done with my 1987 Winnebago Eloandan WCP31RT.  Yes, they are quickly identifiable, much like the GMC Motor homes are also distinctive and identifiable at a glance.  If you can keep them dry, they will last for years.  Maintaining the integrity of the roof is important, and that can include replacing the seals under the air conditioners to keep the water out when it rains. 

I did have hope that your husband would send a private message to me through the Good Old RVs system, or an e-mail message to me.  Either way.  It would have been enjoyable to talk with someone who shares similar interests and history as mine.   We can still do that if you and he would like. 

Enjoy;  Ralph, Latté Land, Washington 

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service