So,in the hurricane last night my awning (which was closed) got knocked around quite a bit.  This end cap broke along with several other things.   Does anyone know where I can find a replacement part without having to rebuild the awning? Also,will I be able to put this thing back together if I get the part? Thanks! 

1987 G30 Chevy Midas 28'.

Views: 271

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good morning, Matthew Bonazzoli; 

It was closed, and that happened to it in the wind anyway.  Wow.  Well, you did say that it was a hurricane.  The last one I was in was back in the fall of 1970 in Biloxi, Mississippi.  I did hope that the move out to Latté Land would eliminate my exposure to hurricanes.  So far, the move has been relatively effective in that regard.  They just did not tell me about the volcanoes.  And I never thought to ask. 

While I do not recognize your awning, there are others who may be able to identify it just from the photograph you provided.  You might also print out the photograph and take it to an RV supply store or to an RV repair shop.  They might recognize it also.  Knowing the manufacturer for your awning, and perhaps the model designation also, will help in finding the needed replacement pieces. 

Unfortunately, yes, you will need to rebuild it when you find the replacement parts.  This is not an inconsequential nor trivial task.  I did buy a replacement awning cloth for my motor home awning, but it takes three (3) people to take the awning assembly off the motor home and thread the new cloth into the awning fabric slots on the side of the motor home and and into the slot on the awning tube or drum itself.  I will have this done probably by the Camping World people later this fall.  I just do not have enough hands nor arms long enough to be able to take down and put back up a 16 foot long awning. 

With the A&E (now Dometic) awning on my motor home, the rebuild process does include drilling out the old "pop rivets" to dismantle the assembly, and reassembling with new "pop rivets."  That part I can do if required on mine, but I cannot take it off the motor home and put it back up myself.  

Enjoy; 

Ralph 

Latté Land, Washington 

I thought I would add my 10 cents plus tax,,, Its not hard to replace an end cap,, the problem is finding a replacement, That is usually achieved by locating a used one at an RV repair facility, where they have changed an assembly out. But,, You can buy a new main tube, and attach your material awning to it, and use your existing support arms. The time and labor involved in finding a used one,, and hoping its good, usually exceeds the cost for the new main tube, And with a new tube, you will  get years of service with no problems along with a warranty. I repaired one years back,, and it was a couple hours work,, only to realize the other end cap needed replaced due to wear and tear, and ended up spinning the spring inside, Ended up later on replacing the main tube.. I dont mean to be a buzz kill,, But sometimes it does pay to replace.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service