I started out painting with the roof of my Travco. Travcos are a two piece fiberglass body.  The seam down the middle is a major source of leaks.  Unless you have hundreds of hours to spend don't attempt what I did to my Travco. I am a sick puppy and always get a bit OCD when I do a project.

I ground off all the gel-coat until I was down to the fiberglass. I then ground out the seam and used fiberglass tape to fill in the seam. The next step was to spread Dura-glass, which is harder then Bondo, in a 2' by 2' section cheese grating it and sanding to make it level. Once the whole roof was covered I started doing the same thing with Bondo.  I starded long boarding with 36 grit, 80 grit, 120 grit then finally with 220.  Next step was epoxy sealler then sanding primer.  I wet sanded with 400 grit, epoxy primed again and it was ready for paint. 

I used  PPG DBC base coat then 2 to 1 Upol clear.

I did not sand and buff the roof that would even be beyond my OCD issues.

Views: 21815

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It came out great . Love the coor scheme and what you did with the pesky center seam . Best wishes in the New Year . Jody K , 72 270

Jody,

Thank you and have a great New Year also.

Larry

Your rig is beautiful. And almost exactly what I envisioned, when I first saw an old Travco. Gorgeous.

Looks like ya did a really great job.

Very nice work great result

I enjoy the style of the travco

My wife and I have been restoring a 1970 Cabana "Fun living machine"

and are about to finish ,I have a question for you

What would do if the seams were overlapped as ours are?

I'm thinking grind out the high side and fair in ,but the plastic is thick like 1/4" in places ,the original leaked of course with screws and aluminum trim into wood. We have added aluminum nailers embedded in the wood and glued and screwed.

We are  going to use rivets instead of screws for the exterior.

We have a plan but the more I look at it the plan may involve some lumps on the outside

with overlapping and fairing

thanks

Do you want to send me some photos and I can maybe give you some ideas

Larry

Larry,

Some poor picture examples of the Cabana we mothballed ,I just smeared some silicone on the joints for temporary weatherproofing,perhaps you can see the end caps overlap the sides and roof panels ,pretty typical wobbly construct.

The factory then used some aluminum L metal and screws into the wood framing, can't really take any material away from the sides or top ,so I guess fair the end caps?

thanks in advance

John 

Attachments:

Hard to tell what is going on in the pictures could you send me some photos back a ways so I can get the total picture?

Larry

sure thing 

MAN YOU DID A GREAT JOB WELL WORTH IT TO KEEP IT ON THE ROAD .

It looks great Larry and I'm sure it's better than new,I have a 320 that needs the same work if you want to stay well tuned on your procedures.  ;-) Great Job !! Mike

Looks really nice, I know it was a project, you would have to have OCD to repair mine.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service