Melvin gave us his great recommendation for restoring the finish of your fiberglass RV. Never tried it but sounds good. 

Recommendation by melvin b knowlton 17 hours ago

I would use  dicor  lap sealant caulk for that.  to restore the shine , the  best thing to do for these old fiberglass vehicles is to apply red max  floor finish that you can get  at  lowes, its the same thing as poli-glow that is sold for boats .  you just have to clean the  surface real well and remove all wax and apply 4 or 5 thin coats. it will shine  like new for  years.

Tags: Fiberglass RVs, How To Restore Old RV Fiberglass Finish, Restoring Fiberglass RV Finish

Views: 32958

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is this only good on Fiberglass? I have a bus, it's Steel and needs lots of TLC. I have chipped paint, some small surface rust and lots of oxidation (dull, powdery paint). Can anyone redirect me to a post with the same results but for an old bus? THANKS!

Jeanette

It is not Recommended for Steel but then again it was not recommended for fiberglass but it works good on fiberglass you could try a small portion somewhere out of sight and see how it do’s. Just make Shure the service is clean.

Just drug home a 1968 Apache pop up and the finish was looking terrible but did not want to lose the original paint if I did not have to so I tried this method. I must admit that I did vary some from the original post with the brands of the products I used as I had a comparable brand of floor wax already in stock at home. I kept wanting to use this method but the husband was insistent on trying rubbing compound and car wax first. The finish just would not hold the car wax and he ended up with mess after mess. I kept bringing it up and he kept telling me it would not work on this project. Finally when he threw in the flag of surrender and it came down to either live with the terrible finish or repaint I took the opportunity to ask him if he was done and got him to admit there was nothing I could do to further harm the finish.

Since the pop up is tiny it only took the afternoon to get to the point where she had 4 coats of wax on her and we had to call the day due to darkness and threat of rain.  Work to resume today weather permitting. However, before we called it a day I heard those words every wife LIVES to hear! "YOU WERE RIGHT, I WAS WRONG" (tehehehe). Thanks a bunch!

Put him in the dog house Tammy and let the dog sleep in the bed. :) :) :) 

Cute dog by the way.

WOW a 1968 pop up. That is only 5 years younger then me!

Would love to see pics of the pop up and dog. Is that a Lab?

I'm going to try this on my RV as soon as I can get a lot of old pin stripping off it. Sounds like it's a lot cheaper then a new paint job.

I am a bit computer challenged getting the pics on this thread but they are on my page. He is a lab and he loves to camp! We have two labs and a basset hound who love to RV!

Thanks so much.
Will try this on our 89 Elandan .
Jackie is the stuff you were talking about?

Kelly have you seen how BAD the Apache looked in my before pics on my page?  We thought for sure the only thing which would even make her presentable was a complete paint job. You saw her and this is what we used and it worked wonders. http://goodoldrvs.ning.com/photo/apache-front-beginning?context=user

I would like to try this on my motorhome but I want to paint the striping first. I hope it doesn't hurt the paint Does anyone know

Yes it will last for about 3 years in 110 deg before it starts to flak off. But what Melvin said it has to be cleaned really good I have put a post-up about a year ago that gives you step by step instructions on what to use to clean and prep the RV

Thank you! I am starting to redo my '76 Chinook. Does anyone know where or if Chinook decals can be had? Again,thanks! !!

Betty, have you tried ebay?  I've seen loads of other decals there and several of them offer custom jobs.  I bet you could send pics and they could match them.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Paige's VintageTrailer Art  

Paige's VintageTrailerFabric

Artist Roads                                            Sandy's Stained Glasshttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/552605816752050167/     

COME JOIN US on GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

insulation 6 Replies

Started by Barbara in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Barbara Nov 27.

1992 C Coachmen 3 Replies

Started by S.Heins in Class C RV discussions. All things Class C related.. Last reply by Billy lotz Nov 19.

Steel valve stems

Started by Jack Wasmuth in RV Repair & Maintence Oct 28.

Blog Posts

1983 Apollo 3300 DB

Posted by Bradley on December 8, 2019 at 8:58am — 1 Comment

California PSPS and fires

Posted by Steve Kaiser on November 2, 2019 at 6:53pm

1962 Fireball Meteor 16’ w/title

Posted by Chris on October 29, 2019 at 3:00pm

FOR SALE 1973 Chinook 2500 ($15,000 OBO)

Posted by Stephen Datnoff on September 23, 2019 at 11:29pm

just so you know our rig.

Posted by Dave Haslam on September 22, 2019 at 6:03pm

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.         JOIN HERE NOW!

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

YOUR OWN GORVs T-Shirt!

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2019   Created by Russell E Johnson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service