Hi, I have some questions on repairing aluminum siding.

When I bought my camper it had a ding under the front window at the bend in the front. I was told by the previous owner that his brother hit a tree (obviously not very hard)... I would bet there is some rotten wood in there since the dent caused the window to leak.

My first question is where do you buy the aluminum that wide. I have seen 48 inch but not 8 foot. My next question is... can I take the aluminum off, just the bottom sheet under the window, without taking out the window. I know I will have to loosen the sides, but where do you buy that butyl tape to put back the edges. Is there anything else I need to know or watch out for before I open it up. I saw somewhere that it was a good idea to use a two by four, screwed into the sides as a cross base before taking the side loose. What do you guys think about that?

Well, thanks in advance for the info!

Mary

Tags: aluminum rv and camper siding, rv siding

Views: 7960

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i suspect a good bodyman could fix it if the metal was removed but i don't know how difficult that would be.i need replacement sheetmetal for mine too.

Try http://www.hemetvalleyrv.net/ for replacement siding.

As far as the butyl tape, any RV place usually has it, or you can get it from Vintage Trailer Supply.

Did you post any pictures of the damage?

It would be easier to offer advice if I could see what it looks like.

Have you checked with a local sheet metal shop?  I had a good experience with a shop in eastern Washington.  The shop was able to reproduce the lower front section for my Shasta Compact.

My neighbor does gutters and siding. He replaced the aluminum skin on back of my trailer. He also replaced a piece of siding on side, using pop rivets. Hope that helps!!
This is how it looks now. Good as new. He custom folded it!!
Attachments:

Good Morning, Hemet Valley in Cal., 951-765-5075 you can call them to see about siding, Steve is awsome helping to figure out how to do siding repairs, I just order  all new metal for my 64 Frolic, Also I would take out the window and make sure no repairs need done as a piece of mind thing. Hope they can help. Otis

I strongly recommend that you think long and hard before you tear into this just to repair minimal damage.

One thing always leads to another with this sort of repair.  I may not be able to see the damage well enough but I am wondering if the leak is really due to the dent.

Does Steve do the repairs, or just have the siding?  Got my Shasta jack knifed in Baja and trying to get the repairs done soon.  Thanks, Dave

Mary, Butyl tape can be found at lowe's and other hardware stores as well as most RV sales places. I would suggest that you remove the window first to explore the damage area and see if replacement is needed. The aluminum is very easy to work with and you may be able to pop the dent out without having to pull the whole panel. That being said you may find that you have more damage than assumed and at the very least you will know what path to take with out having removed the whole panel.

I'm positive I do have more damage. I have a place on the inside where I can open up and see down inside. There are some broken pieces of wood from the accident which I will need to replace, and there is a little water damage to be replaced as well. I think it will be easier to take the lower panel under the window out to replace all that... You're right, I might be able to straighten the old aluminum after it is off. It might be easier that way! Thanks!

As Rich mentioned, I would take the window out and survey the area for weather/water damage. And I would attempt to straighten out the aluminum. And if successfull, reinstall the siding piece and window with Fresh butyl tape,(basically rolled caulking,,good stuff). If you can see some rotted wood, there is a high chance there is more then you can see till you delve a little deeper,, and catch it before it becomes a structural issue.. Its not a real hard repair,, just a little patience and elbow grease... Good luck with it, and dont forget POST PICS as you go along and the after pic of the finished job.

Hi.  I had the skin replaced along with much needed new wood on the front of my '56 camper by a

small RV place in Northern Idaho.  On the scale of vintage trailer repairs, I hear this is an easy do.

Good luck with your repairs.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service