Hey- We were looking to make/build a rock guard for the front window of the Streamline. Any suggestions? It is polished aluminum so I"d like it to match somehow-also piano hinge? Brackets? Websites?

Views: 6769

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi how about solar panels charge your battery's as you tow.

David- I was thinking on that too- because it's something we want to definitely have. That would be a perfect place- I'm not sure I want them there all the time-but want to plan a way to put them there.

We"re looking to make some kind of rock guard too, wasn"t there when we bought, we"ll be watchin" for your ideas.

I was  thinking about buying one that would fit the size of my front window & making it fold up like

the old fiberglass one's you see in some of the pictures.

That's what we were thinking too. I am heavily swayed by the polished aluminum though so I was thinking chrome/aluminum edges or frame with a patterned aluminum piece for the main front or interior section. If I get a diamond plate design it will match my trim and I can paint it that silver blue. Just trying to find the uprights, I think as Mary said below that piano type hinges on top and then probably one of the vintage trailer sites like Vintage Trailer supply will have the uprights or supports.

beautiful trailer, I hve never lost a window due to rocks flying up, but perhaps a better solution would be a rubber flap on the bottom or your tow car bumper, however I have seen rock gusrds on streamlines and silver streaks. but dont even think solar panels at this location,  if you do need help with solar I do have some expertese in this area, I have 3 units that I have solar panels on and have solar on my shop 

I have a vintage Scottie. We just made a rock gaurd for under $30!We used the plastic that people use to make outdoor awnings.  We found clear plastic at Lowes in their wood department. We used three small piano hinges on the top to secure it and three clasps and circular hooks to keep the bottom from moving. Hydrolic lifts can be purchased at any auto parts store. It took less than an hour and works great. It doesnt flap or move when driving. The best part is that since it is clear and Scotties were designed to be able to see thru them at traffic behind you - we can still see behind us.

Thank you David Kenyon for the site referral. I think it will help a lot. We are going to jump in and build it ourselves so I will post pics as we go. I also found some other referral photos to use of Streamlines that had one. I'm sure it was an upgrade perhaps and the original owners didn't chose it. In any case- I feel that Murphy's Laws would get my window hurt and also we could use the "awning" while camping.

We were looking at this photo I found-interesting way they "held it up" and at the below photo too. Got two expandable uprights/arms to open it from Vintage trailer Supply. About 14.99 a piece. I really like them but they only extend to 25 inches so we won't have much of a view. You can "unhook" them though and I was thinking of getting an awning pole or similar that I can use in the center, into the front axle/fork rather than my aluminum front, to hold it up higher and straighter when open if we wanted. Definitely don't want plastic on it though-I think it would look funky on mine.

Well, we've been building. This is the rock guard so far. Used aluminum L shaped edging- right angled at corners. Aluminum sheeting and corner braces. It is amazing how hard it was to find those-particially because of the level of the people in the stores. ( I refuse to believe it was HOW I asked "I am building... and I am looking for aluminum or steel corner braces to cover the top....I even told one guy WHICH isle I had just looked in and where and that no, I did not need an L bracket and he took me back to that isle and showed me the L brackets! ARGH!!!) anyway- found these in a little local Hardware store , the kind where the rows are tall with stuff and you find all the local handymen-awesome. Riveted it together. I am going to get some aluminum "chalking" at the RV place and line the inside to make it stronger and cleaner looking. Otherwise, with a piano hinge, I think we are ready to try her out next weekend.

Put the Rock Guard up yesterday. We feel successful! Bought angled "arms" to hold it up from Vintage Trailer Supply and some recommended locks for when we are driving. Those still need to go up- but the main part is done. Whew! I'm happy.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service