Five years ago my husband was admitted directly from work to the hospital with a major blockage to his right coronary artery. At that time his doctor suggested a specific diet which was basically vegan for him to follow but we resisted and for the next three years we followed what is traditionally considered a heart healthy diet for him. However, last year we adopted the vegan diet for him after he was hospitalized for two more blockages in his heart. I have become more of a flexitarian (the politically correct term for I have joined him but I cheat every now and again).

Because of his health last year's trip to Jimco Jam turned out to be a hotel stay as he had only been out of the hospital a few days before it was JAM time. We have been using the Winnebago on our seasonal campsite just a short drive from our home and it is set up with all of the comforts of home and close enough to haul all of the groceries from home. If we happen to run out of something I know where to find it, but as we pack the Apache pop up for Jimco Jam it promises to be an adventure.

I have already figured out how to pack a portable space saving array of spices by using stackable pill containers but in the interest of space (and the fact that the pop-up only has a cold box) we will not be packing food for the entire week and toting it to Jimco Jam. There are plenty of roadside vegetable stands and fresh fruit options available nearby so the general plan is to pack some essentials, plan some flexible options and see what comes out of it.

We are fortunate to be Jimco Jam veterans at this point so if this plan falls on it's head I know how to locate not just one but two Giant Eagle Supermarkets where I can locate prepackaged vegan options in an emergency but the plan is to eat as we do at home by eliminating processed foods. As always I am open for input and suggestions but I am honestly looking forward to the adventure!

Views: 168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pat we have found a number of great vegan recipes online. I love using Pinterest for them. However, as far as on the road we are going to have to figure out what works. Glenn has lost 90 pounds in 16 months. I did discover a wonderful vegan place called "Earth Cafe and Deli" in Norman when I was there last month. As I try things out on the road I will be sure to post them. SO excited to know we are not alone!

quick mexican cabbage In an effort to prepare for Jimco Jam we have been trying new options. We adapted this recipe for the little camp grill we will be taking with us. Using a small foil brownie pan I combined everything except the beans and corn in the pan and threw on the grill covered with foil. I did use a package of pre-shredded cabbage which worked well so we will not have to shred cabbage to make dinner while we are out. After about 20 minutes I uncovered the cabbage and added the beans for about another 5 minutes before stirring in the corn for the last 5 minutes. We did skip the corn chips in an effort to keep the fat out and we really did not miss it.

Well since I got ill right before our trip our plan to eat only fresh and local went out the window in favor of things I had prepared ahead and put in the freezer. We did learn a 9x9 foil pan covered with foil works really well to heat things up with low heat on the grill with little muss or fuss. We did however have a lovely tomato, onion and basil salad with a vinegar dressing on Saturday evening from locally grown vegetables which turned out really well. My spice container made out of a stackable pill bottle was the perfect size for a short trip instead of trying to lug a number of spice bottles. I am sure that this is going to be an evolving project so I plan to keep at it and will let you know what we come up with.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

1973 Scamper Class C electrical question 1 Reply

Started by Ken Vanderburg in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Jimco_W001 Mar 29.

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service