As promised, here is my post about Scooters and RV's. You are in for a suprise, as I am going to reveal my alter ego, SCOOTER JIM. Yes, I am the infamous Scooter Jim, the guy who is a scooter fanatic and adventurer. I became SJ about 10 years ago, when a friend of mine bought a Go-Ped (I was 36 at the time). I rode his, and being the big kid I am, was instantly addicted. I did a search for a scooter more fitting a full sized adult, and found one. The company who at the time was manufacturing what was called the "Big Boy" scooter had no shops in San Diego, so without a single bit of research on it, I opened a scooter shop, "San Diego Mini Motorsports" The shop jumped in popularity, and I was soon the biggest shop on the westcoast selling stand up motorscooters of many brand types. I personally hosted a monthly ride that became incredibly popular. I set out to break scooter records by riding 300, 400 & 500 mile rides. I started a race league, and was hired by another to host races. All in all a very remarkable journey that has started to wane as scooter popularity decreases.

So with the history, comes the knowledge of good scooters, bad scooters, and the very fitting applications to use scooters. One of the best application I know of for electric scooters is of course IN YOUR RV. Having a scooter to shoot around, tour the campground, RV Park, Marina or where ever is great. Having a scooter to run an errand (oops forgot TP!) is wonderful. Having a scooter to interact with your fellow RV'ers? PRICELESS. Its amazing that to this day I still get smiles, waves, and folks still ask "where did you get that?" Sure, scooters are far more common place these days, but often folks think they are for kids. Heck, my 68 year old dad rides one when he visits, so they arent too scary (its amazing how solid and safe something is when the CG is only 4" from the ground).

Electric Scooters dont make much noise.
Electric Scooters dont go too fast.
Electric Scooters fold, and travel without mess or fuss
Electric Scooters are STREET LEGAL (in most states and acceoted in virtually every campground)
Electric Scooters are FUN. (nothing tops that)
Electric Scooters are cost effective (although not cheap)

If you have never ridden a scooter, get on one. Just try it. BUT... dont blame me if you want one after.

My real tips for successful scooting are:
1 DO NOT BUY CHINA CRAP. Ebay is full of junk scooters. If it is cheap, its junk.
Stick with name brands like Go-Ped and BladeZ.
2 Spend a few more bucks than you may like, it will buy you a quality ride that will work for years to come.
3 Its ok to get a seat. It makes it super stable and even easier to ride (I compare to a Jet Ski, stand up is more manuverable than sit down, seated is more stable). Plus, it makes it easier to fetch a gallon of milk if you have a seat.
4 Dont overcharge it. That actually shortens the life of the batteries.
5 SHARE IT. Let other folks ride it, you will be the hit of the park.

Here's me on one of my X-country rides in San Francisco

On another x-country ride in Santa Barbara

Here I am with one of my favorites, my BIG BOY

Now, yes gas scooters are great for long distance, or short errands but ELECTRIC is still the KING of RV parks. You just cant get away with 'tearing up' a campground. Not cool. BUT... silently zip around the place and watch how many folks ask you where you got it. Yes, I'm an attention whore. I love it. I like being 'Scooter Jim', it reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: "You are only as old as you act". I must be 12.

This is a photo from my hosted monthly ride

And I won a few cross country rallies, this one on the famous Rt66

Thats me, with the 'Christ' pose

This is how I'm most commonly seen!

So yeah, I love scooters. But I also love camping. Its a marrage made in heaven.
I highly reccomend it to all ages. You are never too old to smile and have fun.

Views: 2993

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Way cool! Love the trailer hitch!!

Sheriff Jon's custom GoPed Hoverboard & Trailer!

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Paige's VintageTrailer Art  

Paige's VintageTrailerFabric

Artist Roads                                            Sandy's Stained Glasshttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/552605816752050167/     

COME JOIN US on GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Travelmaster 1 Reply

Started by teresa penner in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by teresa penner on Thursday.

1979 Itasca Sundancer Needs Good Home

Started by Allan Wyatt in Vintage Campers For Sale on Tuesday.

Thomas Built Pusher - Driver's A/C 1 Reply

Started by Brian Fulbright in Bus Converions & House Bus Discussions. Last reply by Rick Louder on Tuesday.

Blog Posts

Noah works pretty good!

Posted by Steve Kaiser on May 22, 2019 at 10:27pm

1968 CANNED HAM 1955 ROYAL SPARTENET 35

Posted by harwood on May 19, 2019 at 8:48am

SPRING HAS SPRUNG - - MAYBE ??

Posted by LARRY AND GRETCHEN SCHROEPFER on April 10, 2019 at 5:14pm

What NEXT! 1.01

Posted by postman on April 4, 2019 at 5:39pm — 1 Comment

HELP !! HELP !! HELP

Posted by LARRY AND GRETCHEN SCHROEPFER on March 11, 2019 at 3:29pm

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.         JOIN HERE NOW!

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

YOUR OWN GORVs T-Shirt!

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2019   Created by Russ Johnson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service