Hi, so I am really new at this, so if I do something the wrong way please let me know.  My husband and I were just given what I think is a 1950 Spartenette and the inside is in fantastic shape with most everything original.  However, it looks like someone ran into the tongue and broke it and it's all rusted.  I am trying to get advice on how best to replace the tongue.  I found a place in Panama City that can do repair to the front exterior but I have to get it to them.  The reason it was given to us is that they want it gone, so I don't have a lot of time to figure it out.  I would appreciate any advice.  I will check back tomorrow and see if there is anyone out there that might be able to help me with this.  Thanks!

Views: 430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Could you post some pictures?

If the tongue is completely rusted out, you would need to fabricate a new one from steel box tubing and steel plate.

If it isn't too bad, I could be welded and reinforced. 

Assuming there's a good frame to attach a new tongue to, or the tongue just needs to be welded back together, a mobile welding company could do it.

craigslist.org has an RV section. Often you find ads for RV transport. I used a "suck up bed" wreck once, that depends on the weight capacity of the wrecker. 

I googled spartanette and saw pictures of that era. It appears there is a front cross-member. I am guessing, but the pictures suggest a 7 foot width. The frame rails left and right run the length. So if that front cross member is straight and not bent then the "tongue" looked like it was 6" x 1/4"(C) channel steel. Good Luck, there are still a few of 'em out there so thats a plus.

A tow company with a roll back flat bed may be in order or look for a welder to inspect it and or, make the repair/ replacement to get it off the other peoples property. A lot of times you can find complete tongs at scrap yards or possibly an RV dealer may have some parts or a good lead on who in the area can help you out. Good luck with your project.

As you can see the tongue is a compete goner.  But the bottom frame is still straight, but the three pieces of frame under the front window are bent.  

I would worry about it pulling straight even after repair.

I stole this image from Google to show how the A frame let's back into the cross members.

I personally would fabricate a new A frame and weld it in...but I have welders and a warehouse to mess around in....and a couple months of down time each winter.

To get it home, you'd best find a company with a roll back wrecker.

The materials would cost you $150 maybe, but the cutting, cleaning, fabrication and welding would be expensive if you couldn't do it yourself.

Pretty amazing how concrete disintegrates steel over time

Edit: That should have read "lets" as in notches or pockets. I didn't catch the aotocorrect 

Mike, You dont steal on the internet you "LEECH"!

I've seen crushed beer cans in better shape. A good reminder make sure your ball hitch is closed and safety chains attached, cuz the driver looked in the rear view mirror to see it passing him.

if the trailer doesn't have brakes installed you might get that brake system where rearward pressure on the hitch forces fluid into the brakes.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200596722_200596722

i haven't used this but i like the idea.

there are 2 basic designs on the a frame/frame connection.  the “deck over” that Mike has illustrated and a “through deck” design with the a frame integral in the frame.  I would modify to a deck over design as I believe that to be easier and stronger in the long run.  Maybe do an “axle swap” if necessary to raise the body unless you wanted to keep it period correct and not modify height.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service