Good morning; 

Yesterday afternoon at about 3:00 PM, I watched as a 1985 Itasca Class C motor home built on a GMC G-30 chassis went up in flames. 

The engine had caught fire just as the owner had parked it and switched off the ignition.  Then he noticed the smoke. 

There was an engine fire, and I asked if he had a fire extinguisher.   He ran to the side door and ;pulled out the fire extinguisher.  It was one of those that is listed in the Kidde fire extinguisher recall, and it did just what the recall notice said that it would do -- it did not work. 

I ran to get one of the fire extinguishers out of my motor  home, and ran back with it, but by that time, it was probably too late.  I did exhaust the 2A-5BC extinguisher and it did  knock down the flames, but they reignited.  I ran out of the powder trying to knock down the flames again.  At this point there was nothing else we could do.  The fire department had been called, and they were on the way, but they would not get here in time to make any real difference..

That was a frustrating afternoon for me, as I was not able to help, and for Don who lost his Class C motor  home.  The frame and a sodden pile of ashes are all that is left.  The rest went away in smoke. 

People, the Kidde fire extinguisher recall is real.  It did happen.  Go to www.kidde.com  to find the link and see if one of your fire extinguishers is on the recall list.  DO IT NOW... 

You never know when you might actually need something like that.  And I also suggest getting two (2) larger fire extinguishers for your motor home. 

Ralph 

Latte Land, Washington 

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Goof reminder, Ralph. Just checked mine, and 2 are effected by the recall.  Got the form filled out so just need to wait till the replacements arrive. 

Wow Ralph, sorry you and of coerce the owner had to go through that. I'll be checking the palace and all the ones I have posted about the house and garage's six or seven I would guess. I know that sinking feeling you must have felt.  Not exactly the same thing but your post brought back a memory from when I was an EMT at my employment. I was called out to a mobile or, better stated a roaming guard that started feeling chest pains while in rout to the next place on his rout. I was just about to hit the elevator to inter the mine when they grabbed me armed me with a couple O-2 tanks and off I went. When I found him he was pulled over in a wide spot on the road; I assessed him and administered O-2 . He was about half way through the first bottle when I was setting up the second and found they had sent me out with an empty back up. Fortunately I was radio equipped and got a second bottle there just as the first was MT. and the squad was there a few minuets after I switched him over. The guard was in cardiac arrest and recovered but it could have been ?. In the follow up debriefing it was discovered  empty bottles had been placed in the full rack either by some one not familiar with protocol or the Vendor mistakenly  brought back empty tanks. In the rush to get to him I never questioned the tanks handed me and that was a failure on my part and a good lesson as well. anyway thanks for posting this and I hope folks will pay attention to it and check them fire extinguishers. 

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service