I recently got a weight distribution hitch (for free), and wondered if anyone can tell me what the brackets that go on the tongue of the trailer are called, where your get them, what they should cost, and how do they work?  The hitch I got was complete except for those brackets that were left on the trailer that it came off of because they were welded on.  The hitch itself is a heavy duty one, but everyone tells me that since I have it, use it!  I am finding information that these hitches can be very costly to purchase.  I think it is probably an over kill for my little Aristocrat, but I am told it never hurts to have one if you can.  Any thought about this from anyone and information about the use and installation and finding the parts for it would be appreciated.

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pics of WD hitches, including mine when we went "inverted"

Hi Pat, Sorry about your "inversion"! Do you think that distribution hitch helped or hindered you in this incident? I am still up in the air as to whether the expense, and hassle of a hitch is worth it with the small trailer I have (14 foot). I pull with a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with tow package and V8. I hope in the future I can take off and drive long distances and just trying to decide how much "safety" is too much!!!

Thanks again for sharing your experience!!

Elizabeth
I don't think I'd bother unless you get a lot of "sway". Of course, make sure you have new tires, properly inflated and new or good wheel bearings in the trailer, proper size trailer ball and big hunky "safety chains". Most people travel way too fast... 68-75 mph pulling bumper pulls and THAT's a liscense for disaster. Take it nice and easy and enjoy the ride!

Also, type Aristocrat into Search Box and "Friend" anyone who has a similar trailer and ask them questions. They know!

Should be a great combination with your trusty V8 Jeep and well within jeeps to limit (per trailer guides Tow ratings)

State trooper said that Weight Distributing hitch probably saved our life... kept us fully attached after 3 complete flips which helped stop the "flipping". It was "memorable".

We were towing about 5,000 pounds but Colorado's I70 grooved concrete pavement did us in. We were the 8th towed vehicle to wreck in exactly the same spot in less than a year. Hmmm.
That kind of worries me! I know where you flipped and I am headed that way in a month or so, going to Limon to visit relatives. Taking the trailer, provided I get her checked out for road worthiness! I have been through there frequently and know that grooved pavement. Guess it is better to be aware and safe. Don't plan on "high speed" towing anyway. What's the fun of going to see America if you are going 90 miles an hour!!!LOL Thanks for the info.
Happy traveling to all!
Liz
Try a RV trailer supply store there should be one near you. I have had good luck with this. On my small and lighter 66 lowliner I have had no problems but my 70 lowliner is a whole different story. This trailer fully loaded weighs in about 4200 lbs. I have tried different solutions from tires to different hitches. But the one that works the best is to SLOW DOWN. With this much weight on a single axle trailer you will never be completely stable. On long trips staying well rested helps. Defensive driving is a plus and knowing what's ahead of you. But like I said driving at your safe speed is the best. Besides it gives all those people a chance to see your good looking trailer when they go by. My wife wants to know if your group is for single ladies or can you join if you are married?

I am assuming that you r wife is referring to Sisters on the Fly. We have single or married, whomever is interesed. You can see a general introduction to the group on the web site www.sistersonthefly.com There is even a new video with our new song to view! This located near the bottom of the website introductory page, just click on the arrow in the center of the video pic. Also can view some of the trailers on the tabs on the upper left of that same page. Several other tabs with interesting info about us! Take a look! A lot of us are "older" (50+) yet we have some a lot younger. Our oldest member, Mazie, just turned 91 today! It is for those who like to fish, flyfish, horseback ride, learn outdoor skills, and, OF COURSE, Camp!
Thanks for your information about the hitch issue. I am thinking that I may not mess with it since my trailer will not weight in much above 2000 fully loaded. And I do go slower, probably to the chagrin of those on the highway!! But I want to do this for fun, have had to hurry all my life, so now slow down and see the country.
Where are you located the next couple of weeks? I ask because it would be a good time for your wife, and you too, to see a couple of Sisters on the Fly trailers up close in Denver on the 19th. There is a booksigning and get together at the Tattered Cover bookstore on Colfax at 7:30 pm. One of our members, Irene, has written a book about the sisters on the fly, will be there to sign her new book. Everyone is welome to come and meet and greet!
Hope to meet some of you nice people soon! Happy traveling!!
Liz

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Paige's VintageTrailer Art  

Paige's VintageTrailerFabric

Artist Roads                                            Sandy's Stained Glasshttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/552605816752050167/     

COME JOIN US on GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Weird air in my fresh water line. 1 Reply

Started by Marshall Stern in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by John and Gloria yesterday.

1977 Terry Travel Trailer Manual

Started by Ina Schuster in RV Repair & Maintence Sep 3.

1988 Mallard Sprinter 1 Reply

Started by John and Gloria in Vintage Campers For Sale. Last reply by John and Gloria Aug 31.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.         JOIN HERE NOW!

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

YOUR OWN GORVs T-Shirt!

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2019   Created by Russ Johnson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service