It rained here in Chino Valley, AZ a couple of days ago and we found a water leak in the right front part of the ceiling. Today (9-3-16) my 6 year old grandson and I got on the roof to see where the water was entering the RV. I started on the left side where the wetness showed up and what I found made my blood boil. Some idiot had sealed the edge seam with silicone and then covered it up with Dicor self-;leveling caulk. And the silicone had not made a water tight seal over the seam so water just seeped under it and came in. They used silicone caulk all away around the roof of the motorhome where the roof and the side walls meet and then used just enough Dicor to make the rotten patch job look like it is supposed to. We spent about 3 hours just cleaning the seam across the front and partway up each side. It took lots of scraping, wire brushing, and a pint of mineral spirits to get the seam cleaned enough to apply Dicor non-sagging and self-leveling caulk. My grandson, Lain, may only be 6 years old, but he worked like a trooper.
We got the seam cleaned up and then applied 2 tubes of non-sagging caulk and 2 tubes of self-leveling caulk. I normally carry butyl tape,Eternabond tape and 3 tubes of non-sagging and 3 tubes of self-leveling Dicor caulk. The reason that I had to use so much Dicor is that this trip I decided not to add both tapes to the things I pack for repairs. Big mistake. Just like Visa says "Don' leave home without it", It will go with me from now on. This little experience has shown me that when I acquire more of the Eternabond tape I will tearing out the silicone from all the seams and redoing then correctly.
The damage to the ceiling is now bad enough that I will have to pull all the front and side cabinets to repair the hidden damage and out up 2 or 3 new ceiling panels.
I have more than 3 pictures of the job, so will upload them in another post.
Sorry to hear that Russ, Good you found it though.
Well that's a mess. Folks sure mess things up with cheapo "fixes".