Post your tips and recommendations on how you winterize your rv here! Thanks!

Views: 4427

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When we were in Montana and the Dakotas, we always winterized with antifreeze to ward off those below zero temperatures. Now that we are in Arkansas, we just use the blow out method. Most cold I have seen here is in the low 20s, and then only for a day two max then it warms up again. We put antifreeze in the traps and in the toilet and so far so good. Temperature is the driving factor, the increased number of days of cold temperatures and/or the lower the temperatures the more one needs to use antifreeze to protect the delicate lines. And always remember to completely drain the hot water heater, the holding tanks, and the fresh water tank, things that can over looked real easy.

I often wondered why you'd need antifreeze if you've thoroughly blown all of the lines out. I use it anyway but it seems like kind of a waste, except for sink and shower traps. When I close my pool I used compressed air to blow the intake and return lines out and then cap them with the air still hooked up. There's no way to get antifreeze down in there and it's been fine (except for one year when the skimmer froze and broke due to a faulty gizmo - can you say "excavation"? Ugh.).

But to be safe I'll do what I did last year - hook up a gallon of RV antifreeze to the water pump inlet and run the faucets until I see pink.

Move to Central America!

This is probably a simplistic approach, but I leave an electric oilfilled radiator heater on "low", as well as draining the lines. My RV came with a "Winterizing" system but the PO had removed most of the vital parts before I got my hands on it. The GTC has all of it's pressure lines within the body envelope, as well has heavy foam insulation, so no problems. So far. Knock on wood. I also leave all faucets open just in case.

Winterizing your RV, even though your full timming is important also. Yes, us full timers do rough a little bit in the cold winter months before we bug out and head south to thaw out. A question always comes out when shooting the bull around the camp fire about how to keep the water line from freezing over night when the temps drop into the 30's. (Full timers avoid the 20's and teens). Pool noodles (you get them at the dollar stores,, a long styrofoam tube in an array of colors). You just take a razor and cut down one side of it and slip it over your water hose. (Wind blowing over the water line is main factor to freezing your water hose.)

Also leave your kitchen faucet dripping to keep water flowing.

You can also use Heat tape and run it the full length of the hose and wrap the hose, depending on how cold the temps will drop.But I have had success with just using a pool noodle when temps drop to the 30's and slowly climb back up during the day.

F.Y.I.   those pool noodles work great for bumpers on slide outs and awning support bars,

Also during winter months, whether full time or RV in storage, Put small towels along the bottom of windows to catch condensation,, will save the window frames.The fluctuation of temps create moisture which drops to the bottom of window sills and the towels will save a problem from happening.

Good suggestions, Lakota. I use reflective Mylar with a plastic bubble center to insulate the windows. Works like a charm but makes it kind of dark! The best solution, though, is to be where it's warm. :)

The best winterizing method is called Yuma, AZ LOL

Good one and True Russ.

I agree!!

Regular bubble wrap works too and lets light through. I used it for years on non double pane rv windows. Mylar with bubble wrap like Matthew suggested would be better if no light transmission is needed. Try bubble wrap completely covering an ice chest too. doubles the life of the ice and it's free!

Nice tip on the pool noodles and I never though of the towels below windows to catch the condensation. Good tips!

I am winterizing my 2000 golden falcon travel trailer.  I have bi-passed my water heater but can't get pink antifreeze to come though on any of the hot side of the rv there are two valves on the water heater turned bottom one off which is the cold water fill. The top I left open as the sticker said for by pass..I have the jug of antifreeze to the inlet of the water pump..can pump all cold water lines full antifreeze but hot side gets nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Paige's VintageTrailer Art  

Paige's VintageTrailerFabric

Artist Roads                                            Sandy's Stained Glasshttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/552605816752050167/     

COME JOIN US on GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

insulation

Started by Barbara in RV Repair & Maintence 7 hours ago.

1992 C Coachmen 2 Replies

Started by S.Heins in Class C RV discussions. All things Class C related.. Last reply by Kevin F Smith Nov 8.

Steel valve stems

Started by Jack Wasmuth in RV Repair & Maintence Oct 28.

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.         JOIN HERE NOW!

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

YOUR OWN GORVs T-Shirt!

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2019   Created by Russell E Johnson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service