Full Timer Insurance for Older RV's.....

Okay, we're full-timers in a '79 Winnebago and almost NO ONE offers personal property / homeowners insurance for it.

Best we found was through Good Sam but only one out of their 5 companies will even insure such an old rig.

NOTE - THIS IS NOT FOR VEHICLE INSURANCE - this is for all of our personal stuff  - IN the rig.  Usually considered "renters insurance".

We already have business insurance and liability on the rig and trailer and business property.

Does anyone have any luck with property insurance in their RV's?

Views: 2926

Tags: full, full-timers, insurance, property, timers


You need to be a member of Good Old RVs to add comments!

Join Good Old RVs

Comment by William E Carlson on December 27, 2020 at 1:03pm

I got State Farm when I purchaced MCI9, they wanted $1,200'00 for six months, unreal shopped around and got full coverage $500.00 deductable for a little less than $300.00 for six months from ALLSTATE, asked former owner who he had it insured by , and it was ALLSTATE for 16 years, Wow what a differance in fees, SHOP to save$$$$$

Comment by Gary Rowe on February 11, 2019 at 9:31pm

Progressive says they cover full timers  https://www.progressive.com/  

Hope this helps God Bless Gary

Comment by SLEETH on February 11, 2019 at 8:58pm

any one have anything new to add to this subject?

Comment by Tim Constas on August 21, 2017 at 5:11pm

If you own a travel trailer, fifth wheel or pop up chances are it not covered by your home owners insurance when it is parked in your driveway unless you purchased a rider for it. My son in law learned this the hard way.

I have not checked this out because I have policies on  my travel trailer and fifth wheel, it may not have any insurance for damage or liabilities when unhooked at a campground. I have policies on both my fifth wheels, for damage or liabilities when unhooked.

Comment by FrannyLee on December 5, 2016 at 12:21pm

Wawanesa Insurance is only available in Oregon and California but they fully insured my 75 REVCON as long as i do not "live" in it.

Comment by Melissa Daunt on April 12, 2016 at 9:33pm

Do you need insurance for a 17 foot 1971 rambler trailer?

Comment by Russell E Johnson on December 12, 2015 at 8:23pm

We went with National General through Good Sam. Now that we have a home I need to look into the policy to see if it will cover the contents of the motorhome and it there is liability for if something happens like someone falling and getting hurt or if our MH catches fire and burns down another RV or 2 next to us. It it does, then I will be dropping National General and going with AAA and insure the MH and the other vehicles as just that, a vehicle.

One thing I will say for National General when the renewal came up this last time, they reduced our rates. Something unheard of in the insurance field.

Comment by Frank Niprikas on December 7, 2015 at 9:23am

I have Geico on the cars, when I bought the C Class I called them and was pleasantly surprised.  For full coverage (For what that's really worth) it added about 150.00 per year to the bill.  This includes all kinds of special stuff like BBQing in a park while RVing and an ember flies over and burns down some other guys Prevost or worse.   Their question to me was I going to be RVing for more or less than 30 day a year.  For me, it's less because all the rest of the year I'm buried in the restoration of this little jewel.  You can't get an RV quote online, you have to call, but it was a TON less than the ever-crazy charge-what-they-can Good Sam bunch.

Comment by Swaycool on September 23, 2014 at 5:59pm

I have progressive and for the passed 3 years they have gone up about 50 to 60 $ for the year normally you think it would go down so i'm a little confused. I called them and they told me that it should not have gone up but they have not corrected any thing as of yet so i think it's time to move to a new insurance comp any one know of one?   

Comment by Marguerite on January 2, 2014 at 8:49pm

I have had rental insurance and when I went to full time trailer living it transferredto my contents. I think it is through Safeco. It also covers my storage unit. I would find a good broker to find it for you.



  •         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 



 Artist Roads                                              



If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW



  • Add Videos
  • View All


If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

 Come on in and have some fun.      

 Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges


 Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service