It seemed in good condition. But that wasn't the case unfortunately. It had lots of bondo over rusted lower panels and even they had moved the front suspension an inch or so, since the frame rails were rusting away on the left hand side, totally dangerous! Mostly caused by leakage of the rear windows. I took the whole bed structure apart. And had most of the rust repaired. The interior however was in original and complete condition.
I took out of the winter storage a month ago to have the lower door sills replaced, we are getting there.
Now, for the last bit of welding, I had to take the kitchen out unfortunately. It didn't really survive.
So I will have to build me a new one. I will make it as original as possible. But there is one temping alteration possible, which will not be easy.
The Xplorer has two side cargo/passenger doors. One to enter the camper compartment, one is fixed to the kitchen. an not in use. It does open, now that the kitchen is out. Having the extra door open brings lots of extra air and light into the xplorer.
So I will have to redsign the kitchen and how it is installed, is the challenge. I will start with a real life size mock up before I will order the walnut panels.
Some photos here, I will post the progress.