I just bought this 83 Brougham rv and the gen charges the battery, but no A/C to the camper. There is a 30A outlet mounted right inside of where the power cord is stored. The power cord was cut. and I am adding a male 30A plug. it did come with a 30A extension cord.  The A/C does work when plugged to shore power. Could the Gen be powering that box? Plugging the RV cord into that box be how I get A/C to the camper? I do not see any power center. just the A/C-D/C power bow with CB and Fuses. 

Thanks for the help.

Views: 774

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All the original settings govenor wise should be good then. Most of these old sets never got used. Thanks for the sea foam trick. It should be stated that the main fuel tank needs to be a 1/4 full for the gens to get fuel. Other issues...cracked fuel Lines from tank, Clogged fuel filter, low oil level switch.

I put the sea foam in a gallon of gas and had the generator suck it out of a windshield washer fluid bottle. It worked well.

Last time I went to "exercise" the generator it wouldn't stay running. My fuel gauge doesn't work so I keep a log. There was no way it could be below 1/4 tank...but it was. The fuel economy on this thing is not right - sub-5 MPG if my calculations are correct. I have some carb work to do.

If its a 6500 there may be two breakers, however I think they are toggled together so if one trips the other does also

John T

I dont think they bridge John because the loads are independant. They usually bridge the 220 or I imagine 440

"I dont think they bridge John because the loads are independant. They usually bridge the 220 or I imagine 440"

David, you may be correct, I just don't recall its been too long. Sure in AC power distribution the code often requires ties for safety but that's a different thing then when running two 120 VAC circuits out of a genset?????

John T

Mine appears to be wired up like the top diagram. One circuit goes to the rear A/C and the other to the breaker box. 27.4 amps each according to the manual.

I just plugged in to he box it works great. I need to service the gen. Plug, fuel filter, air filter, oil change. Anything ekse? I posted pictures.

I did all those things to mine when I first fired it up after a 6-year nap. It seems to be happy. I had some surging that was cured by running some Sea Foam through it.

The older Onans used mechanical breaker points which are located up on top under a small rectangular metal box cover, if it has points Id change and gap them, new plugs, oil and air filter good to go......

John T

I mentioned the carbon scraping of the cylinder head at 200 hours I believe. I did one once and did notice a difference. When it first fired, it came to speed fast. Before the cleaning it came up to RPM slowly. So maybe that could be used as a guage as well as to whether the carbon really needs to scraped or not.
I read an article about maintenance on the older Onans. After so many run time hours ( i can't be sure how. many hours). But removal of the cylinder head and using wire brush to clean. top of the head and valves.I have done it to 2 Onans and it did seem to make a.positive difference. I just refered the old briggs and stratton engines that would gum up.

I hope to never have to remove mine - not sure how I'd do it. That would be the only way to get the heads off of it.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Help

Started by Brianna Scroggins in RV Repair & Maintence yesterday.

1973 Scamper Class C electrical question 1 Reply

Started by Ken Vanderburg in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Jimco_W001 Mar 29.

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service