We are fairly new owners of a 1985 TIDWELL motorhome. The engine is a 454 and runs great most of the time. We have been having problems with just stopping running as we are driving down the road. Sometimes it starts back up easily and sometimes it takes a few cranks of the engine. Frequently it backfires when restarting. We have it in to two different places to be worked on. They say they can't identify or duplicate the problem. The light on the dash goes out just before the engine quits and everyone says that indicates an electrical problem. Does anyone have any advice??

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We had a problem like that last summer. Joe's RV in Jonesboro, AR worked on it on and off for 2 weeks. There were bad fuse connectors and relays associated with the chassis and the cabin. He had 2 men on it and so $100 worth of parts cost us about $500 in labor. It is not going to be easy to find until it finally dies completely like ours did which took about 18 months to get to that point. Not encouraging I know, but it is the best I can tell you. Do not expect a regular mechanic garage to be able to fix it, and I seriously doubt that the majority of RV dealers have the necessary experience to figure it out. I do not know of any independent RV repair places in Washington state. I hope others on here in that area will know of someone they can recommend. Good luck

Thank you Russ. You are right. It is not encouraging but it is better to have some kind of answer.

Here is link to a website that I wish all RVers would use. Since it is not used much a lot of reviews are old. But it might give you some guidance. 

RV Service Reviews

Thanks I will check it out.

Does the engine die only after running for a while - operating temp or higher?

Is it easier to start if you allow it to cool down? A BBC in a class A takes a considerable amount of time to cool down. There are tips, especially when stopping enroute for fuel or coffee that will help your exhaust manifolds.

Does it back fire through the carb or exhaust?

Basic problem as per your post and dependant on above, to me, point towards an ignition coil problem.

Thank you Terry. Didn't mean to seem to ignore you. I am trying to research this for my husband.  It does backfire through the exhaust. I showed him your comment and he went to our only auto parts place in our little town this morning.. The guy apparently has a lot of experience with GM. He agreed it could be ignition related but advised changing the ignition control module instead of the coil since the problem is intermittent.. I really appreciate your advice.  

Happy to hear this, Brenda+. The ICM replacement will deal with various issues that the coil won't. Appears you have found someone local that knows these older engines. You are very fortunate.

In many cases these days you could end up trying to deal with a 30ish 'associate' who has no knowledge of what a carb is.

Cherish this person you have found.

Apologies for suggesting the coil ahead of the ICM.

Something you may want to consider with an older engine is to avoid 'throwing new parts into it'. Generally not needed. Most parts are testable.

Todays vehicles have so many computer modules that cannot be bench tested and require a specific code reader with the provision that you test with a 'known good component' that you have to have a life time warranty.

Good luck with yours.

1985 454 is a very strong and dependable engine.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service