I am thinking of buying a 1969 Explorer Doge MH/RV and would like some advise on what I should look for/be most concerned about?   Thank you, Cher 

Views: 369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cher,

It might be an obvious answer, but break down your decision into the various categories. Write down the major repairs necessary in each category. Then, determine the frustration-level and cost to repair each necessary item.

CATEGORIES

1) Engine & Drivetrain. I'm not a mechanic, so I can't help you here. Have a mechanic-friend look over the engine, transmission & other components of the drive train, then drive the unit for 50-60 miles. Write down any necessary repairs.

2) Coach Systems. Pressure up the freshwater system, check for leaks. Examine operation of faucets, shower, toilet, etc. Check holding tanks for leaks and proper valve operation. Check the coach's electrical and charging system. Check for proper operation of the furnace and A/C unit, if equipped. Check operation of refrigerator, range, microwave and other kitchen appliances. Notate any necessary repairs.

3) Exterior. Check the roof inside and out for evidence of leaks. Check operation of windows and vents. Check for any glass which needs replacement. Check operation of the folding steps, if equipped. Check for stress cracks in the fiberglass -- usually occurring from the rear axle aft toward the rear bumper. Climb onto the roof and note any broken/missing vent pipes, vent shields. Note any deficienies for later consideration.

4) Suspension. Check that springs are unbroken and not sagging. Check levelers, shocks, and air suspension system, if equipped.

5) Consumables. Find the "date-code" on the tires and look it up on the internet, to learn the date of the tire's manufacture. (If more than 6 years old, they will need replaced.) Check engine belts, windshield washer reservoir condition (is the bottle busted?), etc.

6) General Livability. Is the condition of the furnishings, carpet, wallboard, etc., sufficient to allow you to live in the coach immediately, or will it require remodeling before you can live in it? Is the floor plan and square footage acceptable for your needs? Do you have adequate storage space for your needs?

7) History. Talk to previous owners, if possible. (You might can find this information through your local DMV.) Ask for the things they liked and disliked about the motorhome. Many motorhome owners are good about keeping major maintenance history records, usually stored in the glove box. See if those records exist.

Understand that living in an older RV will require continuing "home improvement" projects. The idea is to purchase an RV in which the basic systems are fully operational, allowing you to spend a few hours a week on minor improvements and maintenance. The task can, however, become quickly over-whelming, should you experience a major system or structural or drivetrain failure.

It may be obvious, but a 1969 motorhome will require a lot more maintenance than a 1969 travel trailer. Consider if it is a motorhome you really desire, and if the extra maintenance is do-able.

The good news is that old RV's are fairly inexpensive, thus allowing for free cash to divert to various maintenance or improvement projects. After some time, you'll have the little home perfectly customized to your liking.

William, thank you for all this great information it will be very useful no matter what I end up getting.  I wouldnt mind a trailer vs an rv but I don't have a vehicle that can pull a trailer  and I need something big enough to live in but not too expensive.   The dodge explorer I looked at is in pretty bad shape so I will keep looking. Again,thank you for the great advise. Cher

Keep looking. You'll find the perfect home. I think I hear you saying you are considering the fulltime lifestyle? I have never regretted making the decision to get rid of all the "stuff" and live fulltime in my MH. It was freeing, actually, and a lifestyle I absolutely adore. I plan to continue in this lifestyle for many years to come.

Hi, Our two cents. 

I agree with William!  We have a 1969 Cabana based on a dodge M300 chassis.  I can and have done all the work needed myself.  And the list is long.  But we are still way way under the price of new.  Would we do it again?...in a heartbeat.  Hope this helps, Tony, Joy and Cool Paw Luke

Thank you for the input, it is helpful to know that you have no regrets purchasing and renovating a classic!

Cheryl, did you ever end up purchasing this? Where were you going to buy yours from as I just picked up a '69 Explorer myself. I am needing a few pointers on restoration to some rotted wall paneling as the drivers side window seems to be leaking.

If anybody has any pointers to this I would greatly appreciate it. It doesn't seem to be a large spot that needs replaced, but I didn't know if it is easier to go at it from the inside or outside. I don't need it to be perfect! lol But I am looking to use this as a fishing/concert/summer fun camper and I just am a little worried. Thanks!!

Hi Jason,

No I did not purchase that 69 Explorer, I decided to wait and continue my search.  That was for sale at CR Discount in Bondurant, Iowa. 

Sorry I don't know anything about fixing the door but there are alot of experienced people on this site so hopefully someone will have input for you on that.  Best of Luck.  Cher

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Help

Started by Brianna Scroggins in RV Repair & Maintence Apr 22.

1973 Scamper Class C electrical question 1 Reply

Started by Ken Vanderburg in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Jimco_W001 Mar 29.

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service