Greetings all, I just some bad news about the generator in our 87 Southwind.  The generator portion of the generator is fried and it will cost over $5000 to fix if they cna find all the parts.  I am wondering if anyone out there has a line on a used 6.5KW or even as low as a 5KW generator that will fit in my MH.  I know this is a long shot, but we don't have $5-6000 laying around for a new one or to fix this one even if all the parts were available.

Views: 835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got some good mews last night, my BIL came across a honda 7K generator with 30 minutes of run time on it for $1500. From his measurements it will fit in my MH where the onan sat, just need to add some new cross members to hold it and then figure out the wiring hookup. Will keep you posted with pictures of the swap.

Thank you all for your support and recommendations.

Great! I was going to suggest finding something that would fit in there, but I wasn't sure it was plausible. We have a couple of big ones (6500-7500 watt) and I couldn't envision them fitting in the bay. If it fits - that's great. I would just make sure it can get the air it needs. Not trying to be a party pooper, but you'll notice the Onans have a sizable cooling fan on the end to move hot air out of the compartment. Shouldn't be a big deal to get air moving through there with the Honda. I would rig up a 50A cable to plug right into it rather than hardwire it.

Wiring into the 50 amp plug was my intent as opposed to trying to hardwire into the generator.  I am a good electrician, but I believe in the KISS principle.

Russell, in response to your post "Wiring into the 50 amp plug was my intent as opposed to trying to hardwire into the generator.  I am a good electrician, but I believe in the KISS principle."

I LIKE THAT KISS PLAN Easier to use an existing 50 amp receptacle than re wire the darn genset lol

Are you going to adapt that (dogbone etc) so you use your RV's 30 amp plug and just utilize one 120 volt leg of the Honda generator??? Do you know if only one leg of the Honda will power two AC's ???

Or are you going to modify the RV wiring system (like a later model 50 amp service)  to power one AC off one leg and the other off the opposite leg??

Id guess the Honda does NOT have a floating Neutral. 

Its more fun to chat as Im NOT the dude who has to spend money and wire all this lol

John T

Talk is cheap as the saying goes LOL.  I plan to use the existing Onan wiring harness and adapt it to a 50 amp plug and then plug into the generator.  That should allow me to still run both AC units as we could with the Onan and not interfere with our 30 amp shore hookup.  The hardest part of adapting the Honda generator will be installing new mounting brackets.  Would be much easier with a welder and a cutting torch but will get by with a hacksaw, electric drill, and grade 8 bolts. :)

Keep us posted Russell, sounds like a fun project and the price is sure right if all is okay. A far as "That should allow me to still run both AC units as we could with the Onan and not interfere with our 30 amp shore hookup."  If the Honda is a 120/240 but has enough power on one 120 volt leg as your old 120 volt only genset had, you should be good to go since it worked okay.

Best wishes n happy travels

John T

im with you jim....concerned about air flow. the onans are designed to pull air primarily through the door and discharge through the bottom with the fan. i tried to pull a pic of the honda to no avail. i would go expanded metal inthe door to about 90 percent, and no floor, if it was one of those free standing models. ive seen a few custom mounted units toasted from lack of air. i understand fully about the increase of noise

Russell, I would grab onto a Honda for $1,500 !!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as wiring, 1) I don't know if it has a Floating Neutral or if its grounded to the case/frame ?? A simple ohm meter or continuity check will tell you. 2) Is it 120/240 volt single phase three wire?? That would be my guess. 3) If its 120/240 you have the option to rewire your RV so its like a 50 amp RV power pedestal where one leg of 120 feeds one AC and the other the other AC orrrrrrrrrrrrr just use your existing 30 amp 120 volt only set up provided one 120 volt leg of the genny will power two AC's. GEE ITS FUN SPENDING YOUR MONEY LOL

You mentioned a lot of dry camping, we do the same and for extended 7 to 10 day periods I'm so glad my fridge will run on LP Gas orrrrrrrrr 120 VAC. That way I don't need near as much battery energy storage and/or a lot of solar power plus a big enough Inverter to start and run a 120 volt only fridge. I just love having the options and choices to run a fridge on EITHER LP Gas orrrrrrr 120 VAC, Id hate to be stuck to only a single choice even if a dual fridge costs more. But some people love 120 Volt only fridges (cant use LP Gas) and that's their free choice and Im happy for them.

John T

I'm with you guys. You know what you have, you love it and It has served you well. good for you!

Russell, I've been following this thread intently and I'm glad you found a replacement Gen set. The Honda's are supposed to be well made and reliable and I like your approach to the conversion you are undertaking. My old camper has the storage compartment for a gen set but has never had one installed but I plan to do that myself. This is an other reason for me to stay tuned so to speak. On the issue of heat transfer my box is pretty tight and insulated to boot and I was concerned with that. So I thought I would go to summit racing and pick up an auxiliary 12 volt radiator fan with a thermostat to pull or push air as needed. Is this something you would consider for your install.     

i have seen one aftermarket genset mated to the doghouse for cooling in a what appeared to be an adequate fashion.  one could look over the unit and see if that option was viable.  if it was a later model with the ECO quiet mode, then being under 60 decibels, would still be quieter than OEM even with an expanded metal door.  the problem with radiator fans is in the event of failure of fans the genset smokes.  you still have to fashion a thermostat arrangement because the fans unit is made for a radiator hose and/or different temp...

Yes - the aftermarket fans I've seen (I installed a pair in my limo, and my prior limo using a Painless Wiring kit) have a probe that goes into the radiator. They sense temps that are going to be a lot higher than you're going to want to turn that fan on (160 degrees at the lowest). I guess you could put it next to the exhaust or something else that gets really hot, really quick. But, I would wire up the fan to start with the generator. I'm not an engineer, but I'm guessing that an electric fan (or two) blowing out the bottom of the compartment - like the Onan did - would draw enough air to keep things cool. And with the genny running, you're charging the batteries (that are running the fans) back up.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Help

Started by Brianna Scroggins in RV Repair & Maintence Apr 22.

1973 Scamper Class C electrical question 1 Reply

Started by Ken Vanderburg in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Jimco_W001 Mar 29.

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service