I have a 1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special that has never carried a camper until now. I need to wire it to supply interior power to a 1976 Red Dale cab over camper.

I've told that a plug needs to be installed in the truck bed. There is a hatch on the lower part of the camper leading to the truck bed.

I think this is the power connector that needs to be plugged into the truck. Can someone inform me what wiring harness needs to be installed on the truck? This is my first RV, and I'm learning as I go, and I confess that I haven't a clue as to what I am doing,.

This isn't my truck, it's a truck in poor condition that is for sale locally, Mine is much better, I use this as a model of what I think that I need.

Am I on the right track? I'm trying to figure this out with limited success. I'm trying to do the work myself wherever possible.

Is this what I need?

eTrailer Power Inlets

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The plug you are showing looks to be a twist lock 120 - 240 volt AC plug you would use to plug into shore power or other AC circuit, not usually used for the 12 volt DC you find in a truck circuit. I would not plug it in until you find out for sure. In the picture of the truck bed if you are referring to the box looking thing in the corner I believe that is just a bump out to protect the fuel filler hose to the gas tank, it is not an access door? if that is what your asking by the picture. if not my apologies. I suggest you find an electrician or take it to an RV dealer or someone familiar with RV systems for a go through inspection and a tutorial on how it all works. They may charge a small bench fee but the return is well worth the cost. I done this when I purchased my old RV and was very happy with the results. they found a bad LP gas regulator that I may have missed. It only took about 30 minuets and with parts it cost me about $ 120.00. Hope this helps, Please don't get to frustrated with the learning process; it will take a little time but you will be a pro in no time at all. Good luck!

Yes, that bump protects the fuel filler on the auxiliary tank. The plug I was referring to is between that and the wheel well.  The former owner obtained the camper from a friend, and he never actually used it, but he witnessed the person he obtained it from disconnecting from a plug he described as similar to this and in the same location.

Better picture:

I was planning to have the gas system inspected professionally, I w...

It's actually not my truck, so I can't.

Sorry, I never saw that connector in the first post. I'm not familiar with that style. If it is factory Ford, you may be able to find it at Rock Auto or other parts sources like that.  

Worth a try. Thanks!

Ok the male plug in the pic is a house hold current plug as noted on it. It would power household power outlets in the camper, if there are any. A plug for say a blender, tv, or radio.

Not to say that some one did not try to repurpose it in 12 volt... if you do have household wall sockets, then my guess is that plug is for shore power. It is a simple matter to check continuity to be sure.

That makes sense! And yes, we do have household plugs inside.


Again, It is a simple matter to check continuity to be sure.

Now begs the question, can you locate a 120 volt fuse or breaker box?

Further you may have 12 volt VDC interior lights. 

I checked with my local RV guru,,,,, Most,about 99% of truck campers (slide ins), Have 2 power supply plugs, 1 is the common 4 pin (round) type plug for 12 volt power supply,  lights, etc,, interior and exterior. The Twist lock is for shore camping which should have an extension cord Heavy RV guage to plug into a pedistal,. They are NOT ALWAYS located in the same compartment, The shore power cord is usually off the back right corner,(looking at the back of the truck or passenger side,)  The 12 volt plug to truck cord is usually on the drivers side,, back left corner looking at the back of the truck,  With a twist lock like that,, it seems to have been wired by P.O. to connect to a generators plug in and set to run on 110/120 volt, As most know, slide in campers are basically off grid and rarely at rv parks with shore power, but do need a/c voltage for microwaves, coffee pot, electric heaters, toasters etc,, so My guess its wired for a generator,,

Yeah, genny makes sense. But fair warning, dont trust what it should be test what it is and be sure. Would hate to see your truck burnt down. 




  •         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 



 Artist Roads                                              



If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW


1973 Scamper Class C electrical question 1 Reply

Started by Ken Vanderburg in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Jimco_W001 Mar 29.

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.



  • Add Videos
  • View All


If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

 Come on in and have some fun.      

 Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges


 Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service