I had 4 under the RV, one under each corner. There's NO WAY there was anywhere near 7,500 lbs on it. I use them for leveling/stabilizing. The suspension had most of the load. When I let some air out of the bags that one snapped. It scared the bejeezus out of me - I was standing outside the cab working the air bag controls and I thought the thing was going to roll over on me! Sold by a company in Indiana, made in China.

Views: 153

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen those things snap and launch shrapnel, lucky you didn't get hurt. Have to love that high quality made in China stuff.

My mechanic snapped one when he was working on the rear brakes but due to uneven load.. had  here back end off the ground on gravel but not up on the 2x10 pieces I always use to ensure even loading on the base. 

Well there you have it then. The base was off kilter a bit because the brick I had it sitting on had sunk a bit. I need to have some QP brought in here to level a spot for it. It has a pretty serious lean - too much to level with jacks or ramps.

yup... I also learned to put the 2x10 pieces wood grain 90 degrees to the base, as I have also cracked them in half needing to raise one corner more than others to get level on an unlevel space.  A friend got rid of his 5th and gave me some of those  plastic lego type things mostly meant for under tires, jacks use says use at least 2 together.. yea.. I will have them up for grabs at Jimco's for anyone who wants them.. I also need to get some stone for under Gone at the farm.. she is on turf though I can put her on compacted gravel driveway for work... 20 days of rain/clouds in last 25.. it's not pretty and over winter a boarder made a mess not knowing how to drive her 4x4... rutted it up pretty bad whlie Gone was in NJ... 

I'll have to make sure I have them level and on 2x10 or something solid. I really need to get the one side up pretty high, with more height in the back than front. I may move it around a bit to see if there's another spot that is better but other than the footprint of my house, there's no level spot on the property. But no matter where I put it, it will be on dirt for now. Jack pads sink, even the big pavers I had the leveling jack sitting on. I want to bring a bunch of fill in to make a parking spot but it would need topped with QP and compacted otherwise I'll have a bigger mess when the Allegro sinks in the gravel. Still, I'm glad I got it up here. It makes it so much easier to pack for a trip and do maintenance when it's right outside the door rather than 10 miles away.

you may want to put a layer of typar/woven landscape fabric not the plastic stuff.. under the gravel as this will support the gravel and not let it get imbedded into the dirt... I did it at my barn and it has helped to keep the gravel separated and not sinking...

Thanks I'll try that. It looks like the builder did that with the driveway before it was paved - some of it has popped out. Actually a groundhog dug it up. Little bastage chews on the fiber optic cable coming down the pole to my house, too. 

Went to move the Allegro tonight but it won't start. It's not getting any gas. I have fuel in the filter at the tank, and lots of fuel draining from the line at the pump. But it's not getting from the pump up to the carb. I'm thinking it's the pump itself - better it quit here than on the road somewhere. AZ has it for $18 - a job for tomorrow.

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Discussion Forum

Refrigerator replacement 2 Replies

Started by Richard Pyne. Last reply by R.L Hegler Aug 4, 2021.

Last camp or for the year 2 Replies

Started by Philip Wolsonovich. Last reply by Daniel Long Feb 8, 2019.

Another successful trip

Started by Philip Wolsonovich Jul 6, 2018.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service