Very nice HR trailer you got there Jason. I am no help on how to get to the water tank. As for the battery, I would take some measurements (LxWxH). That will give you the max size you can fit in there then go to the store and find the size that will fit. BTW, I would get a deep cycle battery as opposed to a starting battery. Also, if you have the room, I would get 2 6 volt batteries as opposed to 1 or 2 12 volt batteries if you plan on doing a lot of dry camping. I put 2 12 volts in our MH, but my wife's idea of dry camping is not hooking up the water hose at the RV site LOL. So off grid camping is not something I have to lan for. If we do do any it for a few hours, maybe overnight, and those 12 volt batteries have enough storage for that.
Thanks Russ. I wondered about the (2) 6 volt batteries as it looks like there is space for 2 in there. The largest 12 v is the group 34 but it is not a popular size according to many battery places, was just asking to see if anyone knew the original group.
I am holding off just now on cutting up the floor but I don't see any other access points without dropping the belly pans. I need to hook water to it and see if I can locate it before tearing into it.
Still need to check the furnace and water heater operation. Parts are hard to find for these old classics.
I have a 84 32' Imperial that looks exactly like yours on the outside but my interior looks a lot different. The only leak you would have in that area is from the sink not the tanks. The tanks are under the floor and there should be a large access panel 4'x8' on the bottom by the axles for that kind of problem. If there are no water leaks in the sink area I would check for leaks around the door or ceiling. The switch by the door when turned on will light up the light under Panel above the door. There is a switch inside the door frame that will light it only when you open the door. Smaller Car Battery will work fine, 2 if you want. Measure the height before buying. A new one will be fine for several years not having to start a car and the converter will keep it charged. When not using the trailer I would recommend taking it out and storing it. I'm also a member of Vintage Holiday Ramblers where you can also get a lot of info.
Information much appreciated! Based on the weight on the title I think it is the 34' model. My brother in law lived in it for a year and is who informed me of the leak once he hooked to water. We haven't had a trailer in 17 yrs and are excited to get this one up and going.
Going to join the vintage HR club!
With the holding tank issue,,,, think in terms of the assembly process and what the manufacturer would do if they had to replace the tank in the future, They have an access panel on the under side just for that purpose, An RV tech, wouldnt rip apart an interior area to repair a holding tank,, whether it be a black,grey, or fresh water tank.They make them accessable from underneath, so the integrity of the flooring isnt comprimised by cutting through it. I would remove the panel and add water slowly to see if the tank is cracked or if its just a fitting or loose connection, Do a process of elimination.In the past, I have addressed issues with a holding tank and 99% of the time it was a connection that vibrated loose. The other 1% was a cracked tank, from being full in a cold winter and freezing.. As with using a car battery,, your dry camp usage is limited because a car battery is a short cycle use and drains faster then a marine type deep cell battery, Twin 6 volt deep cycle are preferred as the best route.
I agree with the assembly and repair process. I had planned to get water to it this past weekend but other things happened. I hope it is easy to fix. We have already washed, waxed and are steadily cleaning it top to bottom, inside and out.
One thing about the leak is I doubt my brother in law (previous owner) was even leveled so it could be a water heater leak that ran over to the door area. He just stated the carpet was wet once he hooked up (I have confirmed it is not a roof leak) so he pulled the carpet out of the front room.
The battery area is (12 L x 6.75 W x 8 H) and it has 2 trays. I have not located a 6 volt in that size only the deep cycle group 34 12 volt.
Thanks again for the help!