Well this has been a trying couple of days. Yesterday the HVAC unit at our daughter's house died, so I went out to fire up the motorhome (the MMP) ac units so we have a cool place to retreat to and both of those units are also dead.

So here we sit in 95 degree weather with 2 little window units trying to stave off the heat in the house, it is currently 86 degrees in the house and 94 degrees outside. The HVAC guys said her unit is toast and needs to be replaced, will take a week by the time they order it and get it installed.

Priced out new AC units for the MMP, just shy of $500 apiece including shipping. I cannot work in this heat on top of the MMP so will wait for cooler weather to replace them one at a time.

Will do the front one first as there is a leak in that AC unit. Will have to replace 2 of the ceiling panels as they are soft from the leak. Did not know it was there until we used that unit on our trip to Montana this summer and water started leaking inside the MMP.

My guess is that I will find that the evaporation pan is rusted through allowing water to enter the ceiling. I am hoping that the roof is still strong and will not need replacing also. It seemed fine the last time I was on the roof checking all the seams and touching up any Dicor that didn't look good just before leaving on vacation in June.

So that is how our Labor Day Weekend started and will be going.

All those of you who get to travel, be safe and extra careful. With all the ignorant drivers out there tying to spend the entire weekend driving 500 miles one way just to see the beach or go fishing, or whatever there is extra danger. And of course there are those who just have to drink and drive or text and drive or talk on the phone and drive. So many distractions, being tired, etc. it is no wonder that fatalities go up with the long weekends.

OK, I am off my soap box happy trails to all.

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Forgot to add my thanks to David Craft for steering me towards Dometic Duo Therm Brisk 2 13,500 BTU units. They are cheaper in price and lighter in weight than the Coleman Mach 3 13,500 BTU units I was contemplating. A plus in all departments.

Wow Russ, I was on the old woe is me trip today and for the last week or so but after reading your entry and also talking with Jeff York a bit ago I'm seeing that I am in good company today. I went through that no AC drama three years ago after spending four five six hundred dollars a year on  a junk heat pump I had had enough and swore I would rather go without than spend an other dime on that AC unit. Well it took one summer to let me know that I was a total tool. We hung up a curtain in the living room that allowed our little 5000 BTU window unit do the job.  Needless to say, I caved. now I have a Trane unit that I got on a 5 yr.s no interest home improvement  loan through Wells Fargo. It's paying for it's self by cutting my electric bill in half. any way sorry your having tough time Russ and I hope things lighten up for you and some of the rest of us who are having woe is me moments. 

Well nothing personal Rich, but I wish I wan't in such good company LOL. The MMP is sure earning its moniker this year with the water heater, furnace, fridge, generator, and now both AC units. I would say that that should cover everything, but I won't because sure as I do something else will up and die because of old age. Knew this would all happen, just wish it had been spread out over several years instead of all in one year. DW always glares at me the minute I mention the MMP, she is expecting me to say that something else died and is in need of our money LOL. Last comment from her was along the lines of 'its not worth it!'

It seems the Magic numbers this year are the 30's ( give or take a few months).. You get 29 years and I get 30 years and the A/C units go poof. 

Manufacturers just don't make thing to last any more, 30 years and poof, dead  LOL

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service