My wife and I just acquired this beauty and have decided to get her back on the road. We may have saved it from the scrap yard. What the heck, it was free not counting the near $200 to get her home.

We are on a tight budget and will be doing the vast majority of the work with reclaimed, used/scrounged and refurbed materials and parts.

Looking forward to the project and excited to find this valuble resourse to assist and document the endeavor.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Views: 1682

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The 454 I got had sat in a shed for quite some time. The guy got it for a '57 Chevy restification but found that it wouldn't fit. He got it from a "rich guy" (his words) that bought it new (GM Performance crate engine) and briefly had it installed in an antique toy hauler before he moved to a fuel injected 502. It turned over fine with a breaker bar. He took the valve covers off of it for me - it looked brand new inside. I replaced the valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket and rear main seal though it did not appear as if it needed it. While I had the oil pan off I was able to take a look inside. It literally looked like it was brand new and had been running the day before. The oil looked great, crank and bearing surfaces were great (I pulled the caps off and lifted the crank up a bit to get the rear seal out). Thankfully the valve guide seals seem to be okay after sitting all that time No smoke at startup and it's not burning any oil. I think I got really lucky with this one (knocking on wood....).

I found a 77' F250 with a 400 engine.

Doable?

Ford 400 out of an F250?

Didnt the 77 Ford have a 460 or 490 V-8 monster block?  jus sayin,

This 400 was installed in an overhauled condition by the owner before last.

I admit I had to google it. Never heard of a Ford 400. Made from '71-'82 apparently. 

351m 400m modified  replaced the 360 390 fe engines share same bell housing as 460 was a cross between the 351cleveland and 429

Wikipedia'

Ford's use of the 400 block in the creation of the 351M engine has resulted in the 400 mistakenly being referred to as the "400M" or "400 Modified." This is despite the 400 having been the design basis from which the "modified" 351M was derived and it was in production several years before Ford used the "M" designation. Further confusion arises from Ford printing "351M/400" on the emission stickers for the engine. The "351M/400" referenced the engine family, but it may be confused as the engine name. Ford's official name for the 400 V8 contains no additional designations - the proper nomenclature is simply "400."

is it still 2 barrel or has it been converted to 4 and a later e4od for a 460 will behind it with stand alone computer

your  welcome Ive been a mechanic most of my life my grandfather started me out on small engines as soon as o could hold a wrench Ive worked on everything in between i hope i helped

Thanks Bob.

You think the 400 is enough to work on this beast?

up the cam to 480 lift if comp cams still have 484 lift 280 duration works great 4 bl manifold with 600 650 Holley double roller timing chain advance able to 4 deg advanced to compensate for the stock cam factory built in negative advance to pass emissions and high volume oil pump to compensate oiling issues as it ages be plenty of power last set i built was in 77 f350 pulling 30 ft 5th wheel pull i 70 Eisenhower at speed limit at 5 to8 percent grades

RSS

Members

HOW TO MEMBER POSTS

•         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 

RV ARTISTS 

Artist Roads                                              

JOIN US AT GOOD OLD RVS

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW

Forum

Starcraft Ceiling Repair

Started by Donald Morgenroth in RV Repair & Maintence Mar 18.

Replacing controller ,? And inverter 1 Reply

Started by Dave King in Vintage & Classic RV Restoration & Purchase. Last reply by Rick Cornell Apr 27, 2023.

Sway Bar Links 2 Replies

Started by Grey Wolf in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Grey Wolf Apr 22, 2023.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

JOIN US - COME ON IN!

If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

Come on in and have some fun.      

Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking

A work of art by member Paige Bridges

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©, GoodOldRVs.com©,GoodOldRVs.net©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2024   Created by Jimco_W001.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service