Sorry folks, truly. I appreciate your patience and replies to my silly questions. My Internet is my phone and I have to hold it in the window if I am at home lol so if I seem unresponsive or unappreciative it is truly not my intention.
Ok, now. ... What type of heat is this? Please.

Views: 145


Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

question,,,,,,,,, does it have electrical cord going to it?. From what I can see and determine, its a Liquid radiant heater, using a heated liquid,(water more then likely) to distribute heat. I say that because it looks like the same set up as my radiant heater from my house in Michigan,,, uses water from the water heater to heat bathrooms, Water flows thru it and returns back to water heater,,, kind of like a 2 for one job from water heater.

Maybe this heater has engine coolant running through it?I would follow the lines that are hooked up on the end.There might be a turn off valve some where with a handle on it.

Looks like standard baseboard hot water heating that I used to see in houses 20-30 years ago.  Certainly not original in an RV.  Jimco may be right; engine coolant used to heat the living area.  Looks like both the inlet and outlet head in the same direction so trace them to what they are connected to

  As an old engineer and best I can tell from the picture, I have to call it a liquid to air heat exchanger. If you pump hot liquid through the lines, it gives up its heat to all those fins and the heat is transferred to the ambient air. Now, if say your engines hot water was flowing through the lines, heat would be removed from the engine coolant and transferred to the ambient air. That's what a car radiator does, removes heat from the anti freeze and transfers the heat to the outside air. In a home those kind or radiators are used when there's a central hot water boiler (be it gas fired or electric) and the hot water is pumped through those lines so heat gets transferred to the home. YOU NEED TO SEE WHERE THAT PLUMBING IS FED FROM?? It may be a small electric hot water heater (has its own kind of glycol anti freeze so it dont freeze n burst if the system is off) ,,,,,,,,,,,, or even an LP Gas fired boiler,,,,,,,,,,,,or it could be (which I doubt) fed from the engines cooling system. Usually in big busses etc where the engine anti freeze is pumped through a radiator, theres a fan to facilitate transfer of the heat off the fins into the bus etc. What you have is pure radiant heat. Ive NEVER seen such radiators in an RV so Ima thinkin its either LP Gas or Electric fired boiler and a pump to pump the water/AFZ through those radiators to heat the RV BUT HECK IF I KNOW   NOOOOOOOOO WARRANTY LOL

 John T

If this were Facebook I'd tag Ryan Waddell and ask if his had this. Jimco, I take yours does not ? There is one by the driver seat also under against the wall. I'll go look under the rig but I gotta move it to pavement. Lol STILL
Looking for master also. We took up the carpet to find ruined particle board with a BAJILLION screws. Ugh

  If there's a unit like that by the driver seat, that sounds like its a regular heater that uses the engines hot water to heat up the RV inside (how a normal car heater works), but those often have a forced air fan versus the ones you show. If that's the case there are heater hoses or pipes etc back from the engine and radiator and water pump etc. Sounds like a lot of opportunities for leaks with all that piping and hoses etc grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

 John T

Lisa,none of the three Lifetime motorhomes that I own have anything like that.Never saw anything like it installed in a RV.Maybe there was a small hot water heater hooked up to them at one time or the engine coolant.




  •         How To Links 

-Search Good Old RV's

-Start a New Group 

-Roof Repair Photos & Products

-Repair an RV Roof

-Pick Roof Sealer   

-Understanding RV Electrical Systems 

-Get RV Insurance   

-What to Look For When Buying a Used RV

-Jack Installs Fuel Injection in his Dodge 


 Paige's VintageTrailer Art  

 Paige's VintageTrailerFabric

 Artist Roads                                            Sandy's Stained Glass     



If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us. Come on in and have some fun. JOIN HERE NOW


Plumbing vents 1 Reply

Started by Sandy St.Louis in RV Repair & Maintence. Last reply by Sandy St.Louis on Wednesday.

1977 Itasca cruise control actuator 2 Replies

Started by Mark in Vintage Camper Parts For Sale. Last reply by Jack Wasmuth Jun 13.

Blog Posts

Balboa owners

Posted by Bill on May 19, 2020 at 8:11am

camper theft

Posted by Thomas S. Redding on May 18, 2020 at 11:19am


Posted by Eddie Marquez on May 5, 2020 at 2:34pm

"Easy" Loose Pipe Repair

Posted by Don Olson on April 26, 2020 at 12:08am — 1 Comment

Loose Pipe Fix

Posted by Don Olson on April 26, 2020 at 12:02am — 1 Comment


  • Add Videos
  • View All


If you love classic and vintage RVs then come Join us.

 Come on in and have some fun.         JOIN HERE NOW!

 Dedicated to a simpler, more rewarding and fun way of life in a Good Old RV... 

Vintage Travel Trailers, Vintage Campers, Camper Restoration, Bus Conversions, Vintage RV Forums, Old RVs, Tiny Homes, Boondocking


A work of art by member Paige Bridges

Get your Good Old RVs T-Shirt HERE


 Disclaimer - Please Read it

Enjoy this site and use it totally at your own risk.

By using or viewing this site YOU agree to Hold Harmless anyone associated with it including other members. Also, YOU agree that YOU are solely responsible for ANY and ALL actions, results or damages. Members "opinions" are just that and any repair or alteration comments or recommendations are by folks who are not licensed repair  or mechanical professionals. Any repairs or modifications you do totally at YOUR OWN RISK. Use licensed professionals for all work to avoid possible serious injury or damage. Use  banks for purchases.  Have fun!

Copywrite & Trade Mark Registered GoodOldRV© ,GoodOldRVs©,©,©,GoodOldRV.Com©

© 2020   Created by Russell E Johnson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service