........the rear end on this is now worthy of a wolf whistle!
All of the rotted wood has been ripped out and replaced with new lumber. I had to build frames on the inside walls for the tail lights, the screws for those were just hanging in there on the metal and anchored to nothing but that. The original wood pieces had long since crumbled away. They are now secure and the wiring for them has been organized and clipped for easy access from the outside if needed.
Here's what the back end looks like now, where it was sunk in and drooping low is all gone because it has proper support inside. I think it looks nicely even and I was able to take a nice rest leaning on it, that could not be done before without the aluminum pushing inward. The bottom trim across the back was cut to fit correctly without going under the corner trim and causing a potential leaky bulge, and the bottom aluminum section got lifted up into proper position before getting attached to the first panel. It was seriously droopy before, I'm surprised they got any screws to stay in there....so close to the edges.
There are no dents in the right side of the first photo, it's a reflection. The white stuff on top of the trim on the bottom is fresh Lexel sealer:
Now you can push on the back and it stays put. Nice tight end!
I have also cut the back wall for the closet today, now that things are in place with the butt lift I can put this back together. The back wall actually went in there in one piece, I did have to take two of my tracks for the shelf out to get it in there, but I am happy to not have to cut it in half to fit. I'll probably attach it permanently tomorrow.
The screen got repaired yesterday, and I have extra screen...just in case. LOL This was actually quite easy, so while I was at it I repaired a house window screen that's been in the garage for about ten years waiting.
I've been playing around with different stains trying to match blonde cabinets from an old pop up camper to something fairly close to the original dark cabinets and framing in this one. I was not happy with any of it. So, plan B was to use the existing cabinet frame above the stove/sink area by cutting 1" off the top and bottom edges. This will make the cabinets fit with the ceiling that has been dropped and make sure the stove hood lines up with the vent hole. The stove hood attaches to the bottom of the cabinet.
The cutting session(s) did not go well, although it's cut straight....I had to deal with those stripped and sunken/crooked screws that were still in there from removing them in the first place and lots of tiny staples. Skill saws and screws don't play well together. So after swearing, cussing, and sweating for a couple of hours dealing with getting those out... ( I had to drill a couple out) it finally worked.
Hopefully, if I do this right..those screw holes will not show and will be filled with something.
The doors still fit, thank goodness. I got lucky on how they are made.
Other than the above, it's been a lot of this and that while waiting for glue to dry or taking a break on my wrists and back. I can't wait to permanently come out of that closet! Just kidding, ;-) I had to throw a funny in there at some point ya know.
I got some new window trim, channel stuff. That will be replacing all of the cracked ones on the outside of the windows. An 8' section ought to do it, I hope.
I'm still hunting for a lens replacement on the left tail lights, one ebayer would love to sell me one for $50.00 (Yes, just the one lens...not the whole tail light assembly), but there is no way I am even thinking of putting that kind of money into a single tail light lens. LOL I ordered a red lens fix kit, should be here tomorrow. We'll see how that does. Dad needs to fix one too, so we're splitting the $10.00 cost of the kit.
Not sure what I'll be doing out there this afternoon, right now I'm pretty goodly whooped and have put my scalpels and other surgery tools away for a while to enjoy some cooler air in the house.
Hope everyone is doing well and staying cool.
'Till next time, take care. :)