So back in August the wife and I were pulling our Argosy to my mother in laws house some 60 miles due north. Unfortunately my wife's father had passed so we were going prepared to stay for the weekend. We didn't leave home until after dark on a Thursday evening. So in a construction zone of a two lane stretch of the journey we ran over what appeared to be a painted 2x6x8 laid across our lane of traffic.
I heard and felt all four axles go over the board so I didn't stop as we were only 5 to 10 miles from the in laws. When we stepped out of the truck we were horrified to find out it wasn't as clean of a crossing as I had thought.
Turns out that the 2x6 was a red fiberglass side rail cover from a big rig. It punctured the outer and inner shells as well as the fresh water tank. Note the puddles under her in the photo above.
All is repaired now and our beloved Argosy is back to being camp ready. I will add a blog post of the repair process once I have time to get all of the pictures and my thoughts organized.
In order to keep my fresh new paint from getting rock dings and hopefully stop another road debris accident I set my mind to getting a rock tamer for the hitch. Being a tight wad, I couldn't see spending 250 to 300 bucks that couldn't cost more than 50 to make my self. I started by looking through the garages and came up with an old rubber shop mat, two metal channel pieces that went to an old riding mower bagger, and 3 bags of bolts, washers, and nuts left over from some previous project. I went to tractor supply and bought 2 pieces of 3/4" angle and 2 of 3/4" flat iron.
The first measurement I made was across the top of my hitch to make sure the top piece of channel would clear my 7 way on the truck side. Determined I needed 10" so the cut was next.
I wound up using the left over piece for my bottom of the hitch brace. I lined the two pieces up the way I wanted them clamped them down with vice grips and drilled 4 mounting holes. The two pieces will straddle the hitch shank held together by 4 bolts and nuts.
Next was to get the angle iron attached to the main body of the hitch mount.
Next came lining the mat up on the angle iron and clamping down the flat sandwiching the mat between the angle and the flat. Once I had it lined up and clamped I drilled though all three layers and bolted it together.
I will probably wind up adding two pieces of flat iron bolted to the bottom of each flap to add weight. The finished product looks good and cost less than 30 bucks after finding some materials laying around.