I started this transformation by pulling all the old flooring up and sanding the floor. It was in relatively good condition so it didn't take long. There were, luckily, no holes to patch. I then painted the floor with chain link fence paint.
I then tore all the windows out save the front two on either side in the front. I left them for safety sake while driving. I thought it would leave a better view for the driver. Be sides I am going to build walls on the inside of the bus. One just behind the driver; with a door. And one in the rear just 3' forward from the escape door in the back. That will leave me room on the inside for a little work area, a place for the generator and my fuse panel.
I sheeted in the holes along the side with painted, 1/4" plywood screwed on with self tapping screws. Many who do this use steel but I couldn't seem to justify the cost in my mind. The color you see on the plywood is the, eventual, color of the bus. The pink has just GOT to GO.
I actually used the old sub-flooring that was in the bus from the original build as a school bus. It was in, relatively, good shape so could not justify throwing it out. I replaced a couple of worn pieces in some high traffic area's but that is all.
Comments are closed for this blog post