Considering its stormy weather outside,, I took the RV furnace out in between the down pours, Thank goodness for pop up canopy's.
My 92 Fleetwood 5th wheel has a Hydroflame 5330 furnace,, Atwood bought out the brand and labled it an Atwood 8531-11 model.
32,300 b.t.u. (4 ducts).
It wasn't rocket science to remove it,,, I started by disconnecting the thermostat wire, (red and white wire sleeved in a brown coated wire),
then disconnecting the 12 V power supply,, which was a white wire and Black wire,, The rest of the harness stays with the furnace unit,
After removing 14 screws that holds the access panel on the side of the RV,, I used a putty knife and slowly peeled the panel frame and door away from the side of RV, seperating the Butyl tape and salvaging it. Before the panel can be completly removed, it has (6) tabs that go from the furnace housing to the face plate that need to be bent straight for the panel door to be slide off.
I disconnected the (4) duct tubes, and the gas line, AFTER turning off the propane at the tanks. On the front of the furnace housing where gas lines goes through is a plastic slide plate that goes around the gas line making a good seal from the inside to the outside of the coach. Weather seal.so to speak.
I slid the whole unit out and took inside the RV,, (yea yea,, I know what your thinking,) I had a card table with a tarp under the table and a towel across top of table, so the work area would catch anything that came out of the furnace, I was fortunate, no wasps,bees, elephants or ninja squirrells, I had to take out 4 sheet metal screws holding the control regulator, and 1 screw that held the end of the squirrell cage,(blower motor cover). The whole unit slides back and you can disconnect the (6) electricl plug ins, then continue removing the control regulator, It did have the usual dust bunnys and slight crud around it,,, But was lucky not having the notorious nest of mud daubers. After taking the control unit out, I had to revove the gas orifice which involved removing (2) screws and it comes out of the (squirrle cage cover that came off with the regulator.) On the cage cover is the dispersion horn,,about 8 inches of steel tube tapered down to about 2 inches across at the end and has built in screen,
This piece is all stainless steel and was in excellent shape, The gas orifice had a little crud build up on the end of the nozzle, and using a micro cleaning wire,(used to clean gas welding equiptment nozzles) I made sure the orifice was clean, and used a bright flash light to see if the light went through all the holes,(has 3 tiny holes in this particular orifice), I took a vacumm hose and sucked out the furnace tubes after turning the furnace assembly upside down and every which way,, not much came out,,,, was very lucky there,,,, you usually get a colony of mud dauber nests that have been vacated.After double checking everything, especially looking for wear spots or burn spots I then cleaned the electronic ignition probes lightly with ultra fine steel wool and wiped them down,, I re-assembled everything, and re-installed the unit,, Re connected the wires and gas line,, checked for leaks and flipped the ole switch,, VIOLA,,,, fired on first shot.
*Note,, when putting the faceplate and door back on, make sure all 6 tabs go through the slots on the door cover and bend back down before putting mounting screws back in. After running several cycles,, the thermostat is off by 2 degrees, BUT,,, I can live with that.
I couldnt take pictures outside in the removing and reinstallation process due to the rain and the indoor pictures I took came out either to dark or over white from the flash,