Hello and Good morning fellow vintage people, campers, and rigs. To all those who have left comments to my blog, thank you, but please let me clear the air for a moment. When I started this blog, I started from the beginning of my camper adventure. To those who have left comments to the chopped camper, thank you but that camper no longer exists, as you will see if you continue to follow my progress.
So with the air cleared, let me continue with this epic adventure. After mounting the camper to the truck, I decided I needed tie downs, and having never heard of TORKLIFT, or any of the others, but being an avid sailor, I knew about turn buckles. So I grabbed a stout pair, and mounted an eye to the camper, and one to the rear bumper, and a couple off of the jacks on the front and we were good to go. I made it all the way to Michigan from Florida in 3 days, went to a wedding, and then to Geneva, OH. No mishaps, no leaks, no problems what so ever, and I was patting myself on the back.
So while in Ohio, I found a CAVELCADE, 8ft wide, 13.5 ft long, self contained slide in in reasonable FAIR shape for $500.( I currently have this in a semi permanent position in Geneva,OH and is considered my summer home.) After bringing this camper home, just sitting on the truck, it was a pretty harrowing experience, even though it was only 5 miles down 2 lane farm roads. Brought her home and started looking into a couple of pretty obvious problems, and finding fixes for them, I opened a can of worms that I thought I would never see the end of. The back floor by the rear door was soft, opened it up and low and behold, there were millions of CARPENTER ANTS. A very exhausting, internet approached problem, two tears later, NO PROBLEMS. BUT, the rot that I was to discover, was almost reprehensible.I have posted pictures of this disgusting task that I took upon myself, living in the chopped camper and rebuilding my summer home.