Juno is not quite here yet...but getting so close. Today's stretch is from Memphis to Knoxville. Seems short, I know, to then just make it over to Asheville, but the cold temps are creating havoc with what Reins Auto in Hays, KS told us is probably an accelerator pump that needs to be replaced.
Before we left Denver we found a shop that specialized in carbs and they did a good bit of tune-up work - replaced (or added - they seemed to say it was missing) an electric choke and lots of fine tuning including vacuum hoses. She was running great until the first night in Hays when she started stalling from a stop - hesitating through intersections.
This place took us in the next morning (awesome guys - highly recommend) and they eliminated the more feared stuff (ie transmission)and pointed us back to the carb. Even took Rick in to look under the hood. They adjusted something so that he could get more gas going from a dead stop, cleaned a pvc (or pcv) valve, replaced the air filter and while there was still some hesitation ...there was sort of a mutual consensus it probably wouldn't get worse - that the plunger in the pump is probably offset just a little. The other option was waiting for a kit to be ordered to replace it and at that time we still had hopes of outrunning Helena.
But, of course, we didn't outrun the storm. Rick got stuck in Carthage MO for a few nights (I tried to take him south below it) but that wasn't happening. For that stretch she seemed to be running well (some careful feathering when applying the gas from a stop) and then again the next leg, until last night, again, facing bitter cold coming into Memphis after dark. He turned her around in a parking lot to get to hotel, got her out on road and then she died. Pulled her on to shoulder and then she wouldn't crank. Almost had to call Good Sam - but after sitting for five minutes he got her turned over. Hard start this morning but she seems to be running with just the usual hesitation...but with the frigid temperatures we waited til almost noon to get her warmed up, and and plan to put her to bed in Knoxville before the temps get too low again. That pass through the gorge is too tricky imho, at night in such bitter temps with her having this little hiccup going on.
So far all the mechanics (both shade tree and professional) have given us thumbs up on the engine, feel she's strong, but all comes back the carb replacement that the previous owner did - like maybe it wasn't done completely, or it came with some faulty parts like the pump. I don't know what brand the carb is yet - just that it's after market and is high performance/ better than what would have been in there. That seemed to be part of the problem according to the place in Denver - that other pieces of the engine weren't calibrated to now work with a higher performance carb. I'll post here once she's here. I have to give my BF lots of kudos - been miserably cold coming over and with a sticky issue creating some anxiety. Also hands up to just the nice people you meet - mechanics that get you in right away, don't rip you off and the very nice person that saw his license plate fall off and catch up with him to hand it back, and the people that let him know brake lights were out, etc.
There's something about traveling that reminds you how nice people are most of the time. I forget that a lot when all I do is go to the same places, see the same people, never need help because well, everything is all set in a house. On the road, there is more of the America I was brought up believing in...well, that's just my thoughts.
Wish us luck. Once she's here I'll update again and get some more pics up. Need to start a to do list. First thing - get a mechanic that knows there way around carburetors, get that pump replaced and see where we are. Hope everyone is staying warm and safe!