Unfortunately I only had this afternoon to get out and work on Juno. Earlier in the week, though I did learn all about topping up batteries and how to test with a multimeter (my house battery is subsequently in fine shape) –so that was something.
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
First, I finally figured out how to use the new environmentally-friendly piece of garbage that qualifies as a modern gas container so it doesn't leak gas out of the nozzle connection (rubber sealing ring was on the wrong side - didn't seem like it wanted to seat on the other side, but it solved my issues after switching where it was seated).
Also, looks like my new tire pressure gauge works - got one especially made for duallies with a push / pull configuration. I was wondering if I was going to have to make extenders a priority but I was happy with my ability to get my hands in where I needed and the room I had. I've heard people say that extenders can actually create problems so wasn't excited about going in that direction. The gauge has a little pressure relief valve that holds the reading until I let it go. Love that.
And, ensured that my Rugged Geek air compressor works off the little micro battery - it's noisy and took awhile to add five pounds of pressure in a low front tire, but I think it will add some peace of mind when we are camping being able to air up the tires before we hit the road if we found one is underinflated. If it's completely flat it's time for Roadside Assistance anyways. Except for two, the one mentioned-–and one I'll mention under the bad–they were spot on the 60 lbs that it says for them to be inflated to on the door panel.
As for the bad...went to check the inside left dually and ....pfft...nothing. Hmm? Did my gauge break already? No, works fine on the other one. Try another gauge. Pfft. Nothing. Hmmm. Broken valve stem, that's not good. If I can't check pressure, I can't add air, right? I have no clue...that's just what is running through my head. Better eyeball this. Hands and knees. Yep, this is bad. Gotta a bulge now - tire is about 50% low and it wasn't when she arrived. Sigh. Wow. Those lug nuts look really huge...
Then, she wouldn't start. All my youtubing on how to properly start a carbureted engine and I get nothing. Won't catch when cranking. Have I flooded her? Or has the hard starting issue finally caught up with me? Well, she's nowhere a tow truck can get to her - looks like I'll be putting in that gate sooner rather than later.
Finally, the ugly - I decided what the heck, the sun's out - I'm going to tackle that weather stripping job on the camper door. The foam has deteriorated and I've got the stuff to replace it (at least with what is on it now - whether that's the right stuff to use is a question soon to be up for discussion). I figure this will be a quick and easy job. Oh, no. The foam came off easily but the adhesive backing is white on rice. That's okay, this girl has her nitrile gloves now - mineral spirits are my friend. It was a brutal job. However, the results are worth it:
Before with foam off, showing tape and the adhesive below - in scraping breaks I would run the mineral spirit rag across the adhesive and that for the most part rubbed off after repeated passes. The tape was a nightmare though - work to get the plastic scraper under a corner, push it up enough to get a finger hold, pull, have it rip after a quarter of an inch, spend another minute getting the tape piece off my glove and into the wastebasket.
Beautiful however when all finished. Got lucky as the top strip came off in one piece, just had to remove the underlying adhesive. Worst was the bottom trim as my scraper didn't fit well in the seam or in the corners.
I've left putting the stripping back up - after all that work, want to ensure I have the right product! What was there was 1/2 inch window insulation...
Sun is shining, back is aching, but I have a smile on my face getting that door cleaned up - decide to give Juno a crank just in case I'd flooded her. Yep, turned over the first crank (but she dies - expected - until I catch the throttle just right and can keep her rev'd for just a minute before back down). Two cranks later she's up and running her normally cheery self and she and I just sat for twenty minutes listening to old tunes on the radio. Sigh. Wish I didn't have to work for a living, or someone would pay me to do this.
It's been a good day. And now I get to figure out how to change a dually!! Better here than on the side of the road, is my thought on that.